This Disappears When Logged In

CWD Enclosure Build (in Progress)

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by epictreasure, Feb 22, 2014.

1. epictreasure

epictreasure Elite Member

I am planning to put something flat on top of the pvc for the basking area, I was just unable to attach ledges to the wall at the time. Thank you for your help

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

As far as the pumps go I would just be make an inexperienced guess. I have never used them.

3. epictreasure

On your guess, would you go with the pump rated for more gallons per hour or a gph equal to what the filter is rated for?

4. kriminaal

Grrrrr it's almost the end of the work day here and you're making think. Whats wrong with you ;)
    The filter will be working overtime what with reptiles and their love of defecating in the water.
    Do they have variable pumps? Be nice to get a bigger one than required and turn it down to whats needed.

5. epictreasure

Ya, they are all adjustable so I will go with the 400 max gph. Thanks for all the help and sorry for causing you to think too much.

6. kriminaal

Well I like using my brain for things other than work once in a while. So no worries.

7. epictreasure

So excited. Finished with the building portion, now just to buy everything for the inside.

8. epictreasure

pvc pipe

I was looking something up about the temp that pvc starts to off gas. And I dont know if this is true but I found a site that said it is almost always releasing toxins. Is that true?
    Currently I only have it for my humidifier to run through. Or should I consider a reptile misting system and stay away from the pvc pipe? I had not looked into it because so many people on this forum are using it.

Sorry for such a long post. And thanks for any information.

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

A trick I used for my iguana when I had her was I used aquarium grade silicon and attached a dryer vent hose over the part that blew the mist of our cool mist humidifier and attached it onto a hole we drilled to the side of the enclosure..... The retail reptile misting systems are often junk and have to replace parts or even the entire product after a while... A lot of the so called "reptile products" are over priced and cheaply made knock offs of things you can buy at a Home Depot or lowes or even walmart or any other home improvement store.....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  10. epictreasure

Does anyone know if having the cool mist humidifier run through pvc pipe is toxic?

& the misting systems I was looking at was between mist king and pro mist. Im leaning more towards pro mist if I do get a system.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No it's not. Most of our drinking water is moving thru PVC pipe.

12. epictreasure

Thank you. Can using the pvc as branches be toxic?

13. Merlin

No. People have used them for years. Now if you intend to heat them to make the surface simulate branches you will definitely need to do this outdoors as it will off gas then.

14. epictreasure

Would they off gas under a basking light? Or would having wood on top of the pvc stop it from heating up too much?

15. Merlin

If its getting hot enough under a basking light to off gas, its going to be way to hot for your lizard.

16. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

You have to remember, us humans use them for our hot water.... We have sculding hot water running through them constantly and it releases no gases so I think it will be safe...

17. epictreasure

Thank you for your help. Buying the pvc pipe is the last step for me to get Damon in the enclosure. And then we have other decor to buy.

18. kriminaal

I've never set one up but I believe they run more efficiently if you can have the humidifier above the enclosure.

19. epictreasure

What width of pvc pipe is recommended for an adult water dragon?
    Thanks