This Disappears When Logged In

CWD Enclosure Build (in Progress)

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by epictreasure, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Screws in the top is pretty much the only reliably safe way to suspend them. Adhesives and glues both run the risk of dropping the lamp into the enclosure.
    Why do you not want to use screws?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Probably be the same thing but I sometimes use hooks and small chain if I need to drop the height.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I used aluminum tape. Its a roll of flexible alumnum with holes running down the middle so all I had to do was mold a stip to the shape of the fixture then use screws to affix the tape to the roof. So far its holding up my 48in fixture just fine.

4. epictreasure

epictreasure Elite Member

The reason I didn't want screws was because I didn't want to add holes to the fixture. One of the fixtures doesn't have room for holes to be added, I would have to drill through the reflector and this is the fixture that is metal. I could probably drill holes through the plastic fixture though.

5. epictreasure

Do you have any pictures of that? Or a link of what it is?
    Thanks for any help

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Apparently I have the name of it wrong but when I go home for lunch I will try and remember to take a picture and maybe someone will know what its called.

7. epictreasure

Thanks. Im in no hurry.

8. Merlin

I suspect that she is talking about the metallic tape that is used in sealing heat and air ductwork.
    I think the brand name is Suretape

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    It's not an actual tape as it's not sticky at all but my family just calls it welders tape or aluminum tape.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    It's not an actual tape as it's not sticky at all but my family just calls it welders tape or aluminum tape.

10. trappen

trappen Elite Member

11. epictreasure

Thank you for the pictures. That looks like it will work great.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So far its worked really well. I did make sure to do the straps on the very end of the fixture though so that I can still have easy access to the bulb for changing.

13. Merlin

You could change the screws for bolts and then use a wing nut so all you have to do is unscrew the wing nut.

14. epictreasure

Done with all the polycrylic and most of the silicone.

Can pvc pipe be used for the basking spot branches? I am currently unable to get real wood for the branches. Or do I need to make a shelve for basking?

Thanks for any help.

15. epictreasure

Has anyone ever used pvc pipe for under the basking spot under of a chinese water dragon?

16. epictreasure

@thalatte What was the pond pump you used rated for?

Or does anyone else have a suggestion for what GPH I would need for the pond pump? The filter I have is an API Filstar XP-L rated up to 175 gallons and 350 gph with no media and 187 gph with media.
    Thank you for any help

17. kriminaal

If it were me I would stay away from the pvc. When heated it will off-gas some nasty vapours.

18. epictreasure

Do you know of any other options to make branches or a basking spot out of? Or would wrapping the pvc in rope help stop it from off gassing?
    Thank you

19. kriminaal

I've never tried that but I would assume it would work. However a flat basking area is usually preferred by most lizards.

20. epictreasure

I have 3 different pond pumps I am looking at. They are 120 gph, 291 gph and 400 gph. Which one would work best do you think?