This Disappears When Logged In

CWD Enclosure Build (in Progress)

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by epictreasure, Feb 22, 2014.

1. epictreasure

epictreasure Elite Member

After a lot of research and a ton of help from everyone here, we have finally started the build for Damon's adult enclosure. We have been planing this build for a little while now and while the design has changed a little, we have been working hard to get the dimensions as big as possible. The outer dimensions are going to be 7'L x 2.5'W x 6.5'H (we had to lose 6" from the height of the enclosure to add wheels, i didnt want to lose the height but we wouldn't have been able to move the enclosure any other way.) We are going to insulate all the walls to help hold heat and keep the electric bill down.
    please let me know what you think and if you have suggestions.

thank you for your time.

2. epictreasure

My pictures are not loading right now but I will have them up soon.

3. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Good luck its a lot of fun don't forget the pictures please

4. epictreasure

Our progress so far...
    20140219_203809.jpg 20140219_214401.jpg 20140220_192901.jpg 20140221_215922.jpg 20140222_125751.jpg 20140222_231132.jpg 20140222_235413.jpg
    framing almost done.

5. epictreasure

We started on the 19th and the last couple of photos were from earlier today

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As one who has built a large enclosure, I will tell you that in the future you will be glad the wheels are on there!

7. epictreasure

Ya, it would have been really difficult just to move it to my room without the wheels.

8. epictreasure

What silicone does everyone use? Im confused because I have been reading home depots product descriptions and most of them say mold and mildew resistant. Even the DAP aquarium sealant says it. I have found one silicone that doesn't say mold and mildew resistant but it doesn't say much of anything. Swan, Silicone Caulk in Clear, SI01003.000 at The Home Depot - Mobile

Thank you

9. epictreasure

Or, what should I look for when picking a silicone?

10. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Look for water based silicone. It should say aquarium safe.

11. Merlin

YOu can use the door and window 100% silicone.
    Its the kitchen and bathroom stuff that you should avoid.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Looking good.

13. epictreasure

Thanks.
    Can someone let me know if the following could work, instead of the halogen flood light. Could I use a CHE or RHP next to a 6.5k daylight florescent tube light to create a non- to low UVB basking spot? Or would just having the CHE or RHP next to 2 12% UVB tubes be enough for a basking spot? I couldn't remember if I need a separate basking spot without the uvb or to combine the two.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

RHP would be a better option then the CHE and you need the UVB and basking spot in one.

15. epictreasure

Thanks. Thats what I figured.
    Here is another update:

Attached Files:

16. epictreasure

Another update. It is coming together really well. It will have 2 good sized windows on the front and a small plexiglass decorative window on the side. And the other side will be shelving. There will also be a 1' hood on the top to cover the lights and to keep the heat and humidity in. We should be able to put the plywood on soon.

Attached Files:

17. epictreasure

Framing for the hood is done.

Question: should I have hardware cloth between the living area and the lights or would it be good without it?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

18. Merlin

Instead of hardware cloth look into 1/2x1 inch welded wire. It's much sturdier and won't sag.

19. epictreasure

So, it would be best to have the wire separate him from the lights?

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Depends on how close he is able to get to the lights. Generally its best if you have something seperating them so he cant accidently burn himself on something.