This Disappears When Logged In

Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by ritajohnson, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ritajohnson

ritajohnson New Member

I am having trouble finding any information about breeding Paleosuchus palpebrosus. There isn't much on the incubation process. Anyone have expierence with there breeding and incubation process?

2. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Usually a lot of rain triggers the breeding.

I have wire racks where the eggs can sit in the slots without rolling around. You can also use the traditional medium way as well.
    Keep the eggs at a constant as possible temp. High temps equal male low equal female. Dont go above 93 or below 85. Smack dab in the middle will give you a bit of both. Paleosuchus tend to incubate a good bit longer than most other crocodilians, so dont be alarmed if they go well past 90 days.

Just to clarify a buddy of mine, Bam, I believe told me he liked his eggs to go no higher than 91 and he still got all males.

3. ritajohnson

ritajohnson New Member

Once they hatch, are they like tortoises, Do I leave them in the yolk or do I transfer them to a tank?

I know not to put them in water, until several days after, due to it killing them.

4. KrokadilyanGuy3

Leave them be for a day so the umbilical cord and shell can properly seperate and after that I usually toss them into a trough with shallow water and vegitation.
    Just make sure everything is clean. The yolk sac can lead to serious illnesses.

5. ritajohnson

ritajohnson New Member

Which incubators would be best for this? Thanks for all your help.

What size and age did your Cuvier's breed?

6. KrokadilyanGuy3

They were about 4.5-5' and if the previous owner was correct they were probably close to 15 years old. Paleobrosus normally dont start breeding til they're almost a decade old. Ive heard some breeding at 5, but seems like 8 and older is where it's at. Im not sure if mine bred previous to my ownership though.