This Disappears When Logged In

Cute Lil Snake... Any Idea What He Is?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by PMC, Sep 12, 2012.

1. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

Found him under some moist leaf litter, he was very calm and feels very smooth.
    We can't see any spots on his head to indicate the Florida brown snake or red bellied snake... can they occur without those spots? He does have the spots that connect to form the collar type effect on his neck that my two suspect species can have, but he is very light in color! Virtually no difference in belly to back color. Any ideas? :)

DSC04318.jpg DSC04317.jpg DSC04316.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I found him again as I was digging out a coral snake from some brush... he is bigger now... lol
    (The previous set of pictures was taken a month ago.)

DSC05010.jpg DSC05011.jpg DSC05012.jpg

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's a crowned snake Tantilla coronata coronata

4. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

Thanks Merlin! :D
    I looked him up, says they eat centipedes - YES! We could use some centipede control around here. lol

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a beautiful little snake, thanks for sharing your find!:)

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

How sweet!!! I'd like to add a few of those to my balcony garden... lots of centipedes -- sadly no cute tiny snakes!!

7. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

He/she is pretty cute, I really hope he sticks around now that he has been discovered again. He is in some fairly thick bushes though, and I put the leaves back that I had moved. So I am very hopeful he stays put!

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As long as there is cover and food, and not TOO much disturbance, he should stick around.
    We had a rat snake at our local garden center that lived under a hedge row for years!
    And that was with customers walking past all over the place!

9. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

We are having more snakes show up... two grey rat snakes, one large and one medium sized, plus a coral snake we walked up on while out basking. All within the last 2 weeks. We are not even looking for them. Sadly, I know why... people are moving out toward us... the expansion of Lake City is finally starting to reach us. The woods next to us sold and a guy from Minnesota has cleared a few acres and working on a little more. :(

10. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

We welcome all non venomous to take up residence here, but I know there can only be so many in one area... I fear for all those that get pushed out, poor things... do you think it would be advisable to catch one or two and take them to "real" woods (thousands of acres) and release them? Or should I let them try n sort it out themselves? I only ask because my neighbor has already triumphantly shown off the dead rat snake he swore was a rattle snake... and no one was going to convince him otherwise... siiggghhhh...

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Relocating species at random is never a good idea. One reason being is that it perpetuates the spread of disease. You should just leave them alone.

12. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

That's what I figured... I have never bothered non venomous, I just enjoy seeing them when I get to. I hope they do ok!