This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Vivs/Encloures Ideas and Such

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by KapteeniAnu, Dec 3, 2012.

1. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

On another forum I had a gentle men give me a list of all the products he used, as well as got more ideas from youtube, thank you guys for all of the help though!

As for his markings, when he is darker, completely gone, when he's bright, barely there.

I also just did a quick search about his discoloration. It's possible he is going into brumation. It recently just got very cold over my way, and allegedly the seasonal air pressure changes sometimes makes them think it's time for a more hibernational stage. Which kind of makes sense, as he is beginning to get less active, unless he is out of the cage, and explains a slight drop in appetite, and why he has been seeping a lot, here I thought it was all because of his enclosure needing to be redone, because I haven't done a full clean since the middle of last month, and thought maybe he was getting bored with it, as well as bored with his appetite.

Do you guys agree this could be anything relatively possible

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It get well could be. I know several people whose dragons are starting to brumate.
    If you want a complete list of building materials you should have been specific!!! You have to clobber us over the head!
    I used: 2x3" pine stock for the frame, 1/2in plywood, step guard rubber mats for lining the bottom and planter box, a preformed pond liner, sink drain, PVC pipes and valves, 2cases of 100% silicone, 4 tubes of liquid nails, steel angle iron and casters for the bottom, also corner stucco guards for the mesh on the light box, and for poly I used oil based Cabot brand polyeurathane. For branches I just cut them off my tree and wrapped in fake vines. Substrate is sphagnum peat moss.

3. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

A lot of what you just mentioned is what I'm using actually! Guess it really isn't all that hard xD And even though my questions in the first place didn't get fully answered, I got a lot of other helpful information about his care and what not too, so it turned out to be a pretty wonderful thread for me in the end! I'm using 3/4 plywood for the build, premolded pond, making a 3d background out of wood, wire mesh and covered in great stuff, sealing it all with a water based polyeurathane, 100% silicone, plexiglass sliding doors, putting a heat resistant mesh cover at the top where the lights will be safe out of his reach, sphagnum moss for the substrate, have a pond filter we are probably going with, a premold water fall, and am still deciding on what to use for interior decorating, and plan on nailing all of the climbs for him in for security. We have a plan drawn up for the frame, and now just need to make sure the premold pond will be incorporated properly.

Another thing, live plants? Any suggestions? Also, stupid question, will the pond molds need to be sealed?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No the molds don't need to be sealed (plastic is water proof as long as there are no holes). ****** plants I am using are: pothos and ivy vines, maidenhair fern, strawberry plants, cilantro, and basil. I am also going to order orchids for color and spanish moss to place ont he branches for looks. Pretty much anything they can eat you can plant in the cage.
    Make sure the mesh has holes that are atleast 1/4in in diameter so that the UVB passes through easily.
    My backgrounds are gonna be molded from construction foam and great stuff and then covered in paint(for the plant parts of the design) or grout(for the stones and bricks) and then sealed.
    For your decorations between any live and fake plants you add as well as the sticks and background what more needs to be used?

5. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

That's a good point! Guess I don't need anything else. I think I got my post here and my text to my girlfriend mixed up because I was telling her about the stuff I'm using to build it, and how it's getting paid for all at once and having payments made on it (home depot charge) and then just need to save the money up during the build time for the stuff needed for the cage, and was teling her about vines, plants etc, and new lighting and heat lamps! Leave it to good ole me. Kapteeni Anu de Kalle Matias Mika shall be very please with his new enclosure once it's al put together I hope!

6. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

Also, is it anywhere near possible to get a better opinion on his age and sex? His jowls seem to be growing to look more male to me, and as I stated, he is about 5-7 inches snout to vent (don't want to take him out too much just yet so he can adjust to his new setup, though lately he is much more tame when being handled) And around 15-17 inches snout to tail. (Both of the measuring strnds I use seem to be different in inch sizes somehow!

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you could post some better pictures of his head and neck and maybe some femoral pore shots if you can be them then we can guess but I don't think he is large enough yet to know for certain.

8. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

Question, if I make the ledges out of wood, cover it with the mesh, put great stuff on it, paint it, and seal it with clear silicone, will that be enough to make sure He can grip onto it, and be sturdy enough, or is there another, better full proof way to do it.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It should but the claws will shred the silicone over time. You could press coco fiber or moss into the silicone for added look and texture.

10. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

I'll probably do a mixture of the two, because both are good for humidity right? Or at least I think so, haha. I want to make this thing absolutely stunning. I have sooo many ideas for it that I am incredibly anxious to start it!

11. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

Are there any threads with detailed photos of their process and a list of their materials? I feel like I am going to invest in this whole thing and ultimately screw it up because I'll be jumping into the process without a how to of any type. Like trying to install cable with out reading any type of instructions xD

12. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

You know, I never even bothered making a sketch of what I want the inside to look like! And to think I call myself an amateur artist.. Oy vey. Me and my father already got the outside build done, including doors, frames, and all that such. Only thing I am most concerned with, is that neither of us have ever worked with water heaters, nor plumbing in such a small area. I have a whole sketchbook dedicated to things like this, because I sculpted a couple miniatures for my other who does canvas houses... Talk about needing to be hammered down to do things! I shall start sketching it tomorrow after work, and post up the graph ideas and you guys can give me some critique if you would like to!

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

There is a post on a summer palace for CWDs that I will try and find a link. The guy that built it sculpted his own walls and had a list of materials needed.

14. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

I found that not too long ago, thank you though :)

Also, you mentioned earlier about how Anu's color seemed a bit off. Is it possible that that can be a retained shedding issue? A little over a month ago he shed from about his snout to eyes on his head, and one of his legs, and that was it. Actually, a little over 2 months possibly. Only every other day is he a decently bright green, but lately it's been only in all of the other areas than the two I just listed.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So his head and leg aren't green anymore? If that's the case then He is starting his shed cycle again. I think it was just the lighting on the picture that made the color bad.

16. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

His head and belly are green and healthy looking. His back is somewhat brown, but more a dark green. The typical three stripe pattern isn't there. Instead it's jut the stripes of dark green going own to his bellyish area. Under his arms is still nice and orange. I'm trying really hard to get a decent quality photo to post here. But on another thread on this site, someone posted a picture of their dragon that had a retained shed, and little Anu looks just like the one in the photo.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah it's probably just the lightin then.

18. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

Another question. If I were to make the '3D' background with the great stuff and seal it with silicone, would it be possible to just go over that with grout? I know it'll be overly expensive, but if I were to just put substrate on top of the silicone so the lizard wouldn't rip away at it over time, then I would eventually have to find a way to reattach substrate as well. Or, if I were to use the wooden model, cover it in mesh, put the grout on it, for the main ledges, and just do the great stuff/silicone for the background, rather than the ledges he/she would be reesting on?

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

With the grout your still going to need to use a sealer in order to make it so that the gout doesn't crumble over time...like in a shower stall.

20. KapteeniAnu

KapteeniAnu Elite Member

So then is the only way of soing this covering it in silicone and then putting the substrate over it? I want to make sure I get a nice long use out of this, at least more than two years. Like I said, I really need a step by step on this. I still don't understand it. At all.