This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Viv (pictures)

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by jshrad, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Here are a couple pics of the custom cage I am building for a pair of BP's. It measures 40"x33"x15" (lxwxh).

This is from a top view, you probably can't see it but there is plexi on top. The entire top comes off so I can get inside of the viv. We still need to get locks for it.
    [​IMG]

This is the front, instead of making vents I just made a full side of screen.
    [​IMG]

It is definately not done, but I am not getting the BP's until March so I have a while to finish it.

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

It looks really good, but...The screen would work better on the top and the plexi on the side, since snakes are curious by nature they tend to rub against the sides of things looking for a way out and this may cause scarring in the long term. What type of heating are you planning on using?

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    The tank looks great and I want to express the same concern in regards to the screening. Constant rubbing will cause damage to the reptile.

4. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

I there any way to prevent rubbing, because the screen is already stapled down. For heating we are getting a fixture built into the side, I am going to use a sunglo bulb and UTH's.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Personally I would have gone with vents, adjustable. That wide open section is going to be very difficult to control the heat and humidity. And the snake WILL rub on it and may even manage to pull the screen loose.
    The UTHs being under the wood are going to be next to useless. They are only really functional under a glass or acrylic bottom. Also if you do away with the screen it will take a lot less to keep the tank warm

6. Brent Strande

Brent Strande Elite Member

Actually, there will be NO PROBLEM with the UTHs below the wood... I heat my custom 3/4" plywood cages with UTHs below and can get temps well over 100 if I'm not careful... so they shouldn't be a problem.

I DO agree with everything else, scrap the screen as it will only cause trouble.

Put plexi on the front as well as the top if you'd like, and put vents on the sides. You will lose too much humidity and heat with the screen.

The construction looks good though!

7. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Ok, thanks for all of your advice everyone!

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I stand corrected! ;)
    All my vivs are glass or plastic on the bottom. I had always heard that wood insulated too well for the heat to get thru.
    Learn something new every day! :D

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Actually you are both right. :D Some wood doesn't let the heat radiate through.But plywood and particleboard will.Best to test it out before attaching anything. :)

10. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Ok, thanks for the advice.

11. Brent Strande

Brent Strande Elite Member

I guess that I can't speak for all woods, but I don't see why not. It does take longer for the temps to get to where you want em, but the nice part to that is that if the dimmer/thermostat fails, you won't have temps skyrocket so quickly. And if the power goes out, the wood will retain the heat longer...

12. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Ok, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.