This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Uro Enclosure III

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Vers, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What's the brand name of that? Or do you use your own mix of several brands?

Tell us all your trade secrets.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It depends as well what you're applying it to. The way I usually do it things work out best with a layer of epoxy over the styrofoam. I've noticed cracking from movement if I don't use it. (skimped out on my last one in a few areas.)

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So epoxy over the concrete? What brand of epoxy do you use?

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Personally I've never had to epoxy the foam, that's not to say it doesn't help, rather that I've never needed to. I prefer using 2" thick foam insulation board as opposed to 'Great Stuff' type spray insulation as the insulation board will not expand or contract under normal temperatures unlike the spray foam. I simply carve the board into the basic base layer and add shelves or outcrops using the same foam board material OR molded expanded metal. What ever surface is left relatively smooth at the end of the carving process I then score in a cross-hatch type pattern. Doing so allows the concrete some texture to grab a hold of. I then apply a base layer of concrete which I allow to setup for a day or so before adding additional layers on top. When all is said and done I have a final layer of concrete approximately 1/8-1/4" thick (thickness depends on the animal(s) you intend to house). You want the final product to cure for around a week or two, keeping it damp the whole time. After that give it a couple extra days to allow it to dry, after which you can apply a sealant.

5. kriminaal

My original reason for epoxy was because of the monitor nails a little extra insurance against wear and tear. I ran out on my last background so I only used it on the ledges. I notice some cracking in a few areas but that could be because because of something else I suppose. I was probably in too much of a rush and didn't let cure properly between coats.
    I used a brand of expoy from leevalley.com that I had some left from a previous purchase. I believe they no longer sell it though.

6. Wow! That is beautiful!

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Here is a quick and dirty video update of one of the enclosures...
    [video=youtube;LVytrCGyZYQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVytrCGyZYQ[/video]

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Looks excellent Matt. It has nice natural feel to it. The video really lets you get a feel of it from all the dimensions. That is one heck of a control panel as well.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Appreciated, Randy. In hindsight I should have done a lot of things differently, but many of those things will need to wait until next time. I've already got the plans drawn up.

10. kriminaal

Good video, excellent enclosure. Definitely one of the most organized electrical systems I've ever seen put together.
    If it's going to only get better, I can't wait until the next one.
    I'll have to hold off on my next build until I see your next one first. Then I can glean some more ideas ;)

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, Mike. I've got some ideas on the drawing board that you may be able to use. The next enclosures will be an extra foot deeper and likely will have some new features that the animals will enjoy. The electrical system is also due for a reboot with more intricate timing and lighting algorithms (possibly computer assisted) and a different control panel. I also intend on implementing some form of regulated radiant heat for use at night. I'm excited to build them, but I just don't know when I will.