This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Uro Enclosure III

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Vers, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Majora

Majora Elite Member

Your enclosures are beautiful. I wish I was that talented when it comes to this kind of stuff, everything I build looks like it's going to fall apart :p I would pay you to build me one of those! Lol

2. Guest234

Guest234 Member

You should go into business! Very good work.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You might regret that decision when you had the final price ;)

It's time consuming and very few would be willing to pay the high cost.

Plus doing it yourself is soooo much fun. You learn as you go and each one becomes better and better.
    Give it a try.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thank you! I'd be happy to build one for you, but as Mike said you may not be thrilled with the price, even if I charge you very little for labor

Thanks--I've certainly thought about it, just need to find the clientele :D

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Here are a few more snaps of the other three enclosures...
    Female ornate's
    8186760548_af7114c5f9_h.jpg
    philbyi pair's
    8186766582_675bc20d48_h.jpg
    Lone geryi's
    8186763606_ccdc1708bc_h.jpg

Still some tweaking left to go...

Attached Files:

6. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Out of curiosity what might the price range be for a 6ft enclosure be ;)

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

To be completely honest I never really priced it out. It really depends on which design (with or without top cabinet), materials and electrical options you choose. It would be at the very least two sheets of 3/4" plywood (~$100), ~10ft of 1x3 or 1x4 hardwood stock (~$10-20), two pieces of 1/4" glass or plexi ($60-80) with ~12ft of sliding glass door track (~$15-20) OR two sets of glass door/pivot hinges(~$10) and a catch/lock (~$5). Then you need to factor in paint/stain/sealant, fasteners, adhesives and whether or not you want a backdrop, electrical system, tile substrate etc etc. So basically you're looking at right around $230-250 for the bare basics and an additional $30-200 (or so) for additional features depending on what, exactly, you want. Keep in mind, that's all without labor costs, which would be minimal.

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Woops...that was supposed to be ~16ft of 1x3 or 1x4 stock, not 10ft.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, man. I could have fancied it up with some nice moldings or flashy hardware but that's not really my style--I like the clean 'euro' style look more. The stack stands at approximately 6.5'--the top enclosure with the upper cabinet measures right around 3', the bottom enclosure is around 2' tall and they are both set on a base with 18" legs. It's too bad you're so far away, otherwise I'd love to do a bit of extra work. Do you intend to open the shop as a main source of income and if so do you plan to build enclosures solely?

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's it I need to move! Nothing goes on here! Closest ones are 3-5hrs away once a year!

11. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

This is kind of the idea I was thinking for decorating my WD enclosure. Not quite the same texture, but wanting to incorporate a water fall into the wall and make it neat like yours Matt.

Your work and creativity is wonderful! What is it that you use on the walls? I noticed someone said styrofoam, but I am wondering about the toxicity in the styrofoam (if it is spray.) Not sure at all how to go about my idea yet as you can see.

Thanks!

Would love to see more enclosures!

12. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

have the kids help!! build one by your self, then see how many screws you use for one, then have the kids put that many screws in a plastic baggy for you so your already ready when it comes to the next tank.

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Awesome--good luck to you, man. I suppose the market isn't awful where I'm located (about an hour north of NYC), but the fact of the matter is most people just don't want to invest that much into a herp. I'm going to try starting off with a few ads on Craigslist and perhaps a couple flyers at tractor supply and a couple pet shops...we'll see how that goes.

14. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thank you for the compliments! I used 2" thick foam insulation board that was carved and coated with a reinforced concrete mix for the back drops :)

15. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I wish you both well in your endeavor. It was a thought of mine at one point but I spoke to another individual who tried it a number of years ago. Couldn't make a go of it. He was a bricklayer but started making enclosures incorporated into furniture such as coffee tables.
    Some real nice stuff but people didn't appreciate the value of it.
    Once you build one yourself you find out the TOTAL cost and then you would for sure.

But you guys are in totally different markets so it might work out just fine. This was about 10 years ago. I think the market is much bigger now.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes but the economy is still Pffffft!
    Its hard enough to get keepers to just get a big enough enclosure let alone something as involved as what you are doing. Maybe if you market it as office decor to Doctors and Lawyers etc.
    I have seen folk at shows who are selling natually decorated planted tanks that look absolutely wonderful. But they generally end up taking everything home with them.
    And don't return

17. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I hear you, guys. I have zero intention of using shows to market myself or my enclosures, in fact this is something I only plan on doing a few times a year when I have down time...completely supplemental. I'm not driven by profit, but instead I'd be satisfying my own interests and offering a quality product that would be better than most any other enclosures out there. If I can find a few clients right away I'll be able to design and build a few different pieces that I can use for marketing purposes...the problem is those clients are very few and far between at the moment. Even if I can build just one for someone to provide their animal with a more suitable living quarters I'd be happy...and where it goes from there, who knows.

18. Cap10Squirty

Cap10Squirty Elite Member

These are so good looking. I've been admiring many of the works here on the forum without posting, but must say this is one of the best setups that I have come across. Keep up the good work!

19. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, man--I really appreciate the kind words.

20. pgreen01

pgreen01 Well-Known Member

wow you are really good at building these! im just starting so i can definately appreciate what you have done with these. its really hard to make them look this nice if you start with plywood though lol