This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Uro Enclosure II

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Vers, Jan 5, 2012.

1. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Okay, you're far. I'm not sure how to go about shipping something like that. Lol.

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Yea with shipping it wouldn't be worth it, especially if you're on the left coast...

3. BarelyBreathing

I'm in Colorado. Not that far, but still too far. Blah.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha I'd say ~2,000 miles is kinda far.

5. BarelyBreathing

Yeah, defintely.

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I just wanted to update this thread with a few new images of the changes I've been making lately--forever tweaking it seems :)
    Since my last post I've made a few lighting alterations to both provide more ambient light throughout the enclosure as well as an additional basking spot. I have strategically mounted specific lighting for specific purposes. I have also since swapped my ornates into this one to give them a bit more room.

To give you guys a reference point here is how the enclosure was initially set up
    6643543291_10bc895274_z.jpg

In the below shot you will notice that I've added a higher wattage bulb (a 70 watt Philips halogena energy saver, equal to 90 watts) on the right hand side of the enclosure, which, by itself, creates a 115-120f basking spot. I didn't think it was possible but I've managed to add the second basking area without throwing ambient temps out of wack, thus retaining a proper temperature gradient. The 23 watt CFL that was mounted on the right hand side of the enclosure prior to this has been moved to the center receptacle, which is positioned directly above the food dish. The top image shows what the enclosure looks like with the CFL off and the bottom is with the CFL on.
    6882640337_a123a02461_z.jpg

Shortly after I posted this thread I also made a few other layout adjustments. Providing more hides was one of them.
    6882648403_15f2ea61f8_z.jpg
    This is the left side hide, which incorporates a warmer upper level and a cooler lower level.
    6882658707_2293736dcd_z.jpg
    And the right side hide, which incorporates a different 'interior' layout. If you look in the hole you should be able to make out the face of one of the enclosure's tenants.
    6882674263_bc4abf731d_z.jpg
    And an aerial view including the other tenant (this shot was taken prior to making this a basking area)
    6882683769_f478f6bbee_z.jpg

I have more changes planned as well which should be on the way pretty soon...

Attached Files:

7. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Great setups! Totally impressed with your skills and creativity. :)

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Appreciated, Spyral--I can't wait to start the other enclosures (though I'm sure my bank account can).

9. cruentusanima

cruentusanima Member

Wow this is absolutely amazing! I stumbled across this enclosure while looking at images in google and this is the reason I registered to this site. It is a masterpiece to look at, that being said and after reading this thread and finding out you don't sell them can I potentially get a general idea of how to create something like this. It won't be similar because my carpenter skills are 0 but I would like to make an attempt to create something like this. I'll PM you, thanks in advance.

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha well thanks! The design is actually pretty simple--PM me and I'll send you s few files that you can use in Google SketchUp to get a better idea of the construction and actual dimensions. If I may ask, what would you be housing in it?

11. heyike

heyike Member

Awesome, I see you have vents up high. Where did you put your lower vents? The reason I ask is I have mine on the back wall both high and low and was pondering moving the lower vents to the front of the cage. Maybe drill small holes in the plexy down low.

12. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Hi. I didn't use lower vents because I didn't think they would be necessary. The doors have 1/8" gaps all around so that provides enough cross ventilation :)