This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Uro Enclosure II

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Vers, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Last night I finally got the new enclosure home--now all I need are the philbyi! Anyway, on to tech specs...
    -Interior Dimensions: 6'x2'x3' (WxDxH)
    -Materials: Birch ply, Poplar framing, South American Ipe legs (milled from scrap 3x4's)
    -Lighting/Heating: (1) ZooMed 160w Powersun + (1) 100w Neodymium flood on dimmer switch for basking, (1) 100w CHE, (1) 60w 6500k CFL (all, apart from CHE, on built in timer)
    -Substrate: 12x12 tile (cracks/gaps filled with GE 100% silicone I*)
    -Background: Carved and grouted 2" foam insulation and 'Great Stuff' crack sealant

Exterior
    6590562787_1c005a58af_b.jpg
    6590569839_5f7d04a438_b.jpg
    6590575959_3b55bb6a96_b.jpg
    6643463949_eebcfdfd07_b.jpg

Interior (not yet finalized)
    6643499063_8aeff1880d_b.jpg
    6643520793_6bb14a194a_b.jpg
    6643510465_b6048c5195_b.jpg
    6643534543_b153800e0d_b.jpg
    6643543291_10bc895274_b.jpg

Matt

Attached Files:

2. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Member

Beautiful!

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

That looks great.

4. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

That looks like an amazing enclosure. It's got a naturalistic edge, but it seems like it'd be a breeze to clean. Job well done!

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Appreciated! Still got a lot of tweaking to do but so far so good.

6. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Fantastic! You're great at this!

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks great. I'm borrowing/stealing your idea of that flip down door with the controls behind it.
    I have never incorporated that into any of my enclosures and they always end up a big mess in the cabinet below.

How are you providing moist retreats/burrows for them (I may have asked you this before, but I'm old so give me a break)

Thanks for the idea.

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, fellas.

Mike, I remember saying that I wanted to incorporate burrow boxes under the enclosures but since I plan to add two more enclosures, one beneath each (another 6' and 4'), I've scratched that idea. I believe what I'm going to do now is make up some wood boxes, perhaps birch ply or solid maple, with plastic inserts (either custom or tupperwear). I would disguise the exterior of the boxes using either tile, grout or concrete and then top it off with a cap stone leaving a gap/hole open for access. At this point I'm not entirely sure how I'll go about doing all of this, but that's the main idea; I need to strike a perfect balance between naturalistic form and functionality. Currently all they have are stone hides which provide a slight increase in humidity as opposed to the ambient humidity (~20%), which I'm guessing should be somewhere right around 25-30% (daytime/nighttime) in the hides. A while ago I made a nifty colored concrete hide for my Ornates' 4 footer using a form in order to retain more humidity but they have yet to use it since they seem to prefer the tighter crevasses of the natural stone on the warm side. I'm thinking maybe its time to remove it and replace it with stone to see if that makes any difference. Anyway I'm all for suggestions if you've got any.

On another note I went out today 'foraging' for stone--I found myself carrying about 60lbs of it, some nice flat stone, back...from about a mile away. It all just took a bleach bath and is drying as I type. In a little bit I'll start interior designing.

9. kriminaal

It'll be interesting to see how you incorporate those hides and keep the natural look going.
    Looking forward to seeing that.

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha interesting is right! I've got ideas...whether or not they'll work or not I don't know. By the way, since you have knowledge in this department, I don't think the grout cured properly this time around as I'm seeing a lot of stress cracks already, especially where the 'great stuff' was used. I'm actually debating removing the backdrop to regrout and wet cure--I've got until Tuesday night so it's now or never. Any ideas?

11. kriminaal

I had that problem when i used the great stuff. Seemed to not adhere as well.
    Another coat might help, but add some acrylic additive to it. That will increase the elasticity. Also check out your product to see if a wet coat will adhere to a dry coat. Some might not.

12. BarelyBreathing

I've never had a problem with Great Stuff.

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Yea, I actually did add acrylic additive this time (I didn't with the first), I think that may be the actual issue since the cracks are occurring both on the great stuff and the insulation. I'm thinking I should have done a wet cure. With the last backdrop I made I was able to layer new coats of grout over dry coats and it's holding up just fine.

14. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Update: I decided to remove the backdrop and just coated it with a new layer of grout with acrylic additive, but this time I've got the moist curing in garbage bags. I'm praying this will do the trick.

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks great, you should consider making and selling them, you do such a great job. Looking forward to those tunnels and burrows, sounds very interesting.

16. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, Michele. I had thought about building and selling enclosures on the side--the problem is a) finding the time to do so and b) finding the clientele willing to spend the cash--these things take time and even raw materials aren't super cheap. As for the burrow boxes, I've been racking my brain with how to go about designing them but so far I've come up with nothing that's super water tight--I think it may be time for trial(s) and error(s) to begin.

17. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Using Excavator Clay would get expensive, but if you were to make the enterence to the tunnel leading to the burrow with it then using drainage pipe without holes and then connecting it to a shallow rubbermaid tub with your substrate inside. You could have it live a drawer under the enclosure for ease of cleaning and checking. Just an idea! I don't own one, but would love to.

18. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Yea, that sounds similar to my initial idea, only I'd have removable boxes mounted beneath each enclosure. A drawer type setup would leave a small gap around the top of the drawer (between the bottom of the enclosure and the drawer) itself which wouldn't be ideal. Aside from that I would want to avoid any type of guillotine action just in case someone was inside the box, or more specifically between the box and the enclosure floor. I've since dropped the subterranean idea since I plan to add a lower set of enclosures. The burrow boxes will now have to be 'above ground'.

Anyway, here is a (rough) blueprint of what the enclosure bank will look like.
    6654780203_62fe854cc0_b.jpg

Attached Files:

19. BarelyBreathing

I'd pay. Where are you located?

20. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha I'm flattered. I'm located in Orange County, NY, about an hour north of NYC .