This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Tank

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Buggy0123, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Im finally getting around to go to Home Depot and pick up some stuff for a tank! I just wanted to make sure I have everything I need:
    Plywood
    Dry lock
    Nails/screws (haven't decided yet)
    Glass+track

Is this all I'll need? I'm also debating on picking up silcone that's used in fish tanks but I don't know if this is necessary or not.

2. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

Stick with screws - you'll thank yourself when/if you have to disassemble and reassemble it.

A hole saw and caster grommets in case you need to run wires into the enclosure.

Maybe paint for the outside to make it look pretty.

These are things I wish I grabbed on my first trip to the hardware store when I built mine. Hah

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I second the screws. If you have to move it and can disassemble it makes things a lot easier. Also if by some chance there is a problem say with sealing and a panel gets damaged you can just unscrew it and replace it.
    It is not necessary to use the overpriced aquarium sealant. Just get 100 % silicone without any mold inhibitors. It's the same thing.
    And don't forget the finish for the outside as well. You can either paint it or just use the polycrylic over a stain if you want the wood to look nice.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Most of my local hardware stores don't carry suitable glass for cages, or even the track for bypass doors. If yours does, consider yourself lucky. If not, you might use plexiglass and hinges (depending on your herp and/or preferences) Handles for said doors.

Don't forget electrical essentials - ceramic sockets, wiring, dimmer switch (if applicable) hardware cloth (to keep your herp a safer distance from heating elements) Electrical tape if you are doing any wiring yourself.

As Merlin said, you can get normal silicone without the mold inhibitors. It will be in the aisle with the caulks.

If you plan on disassembling the cage, you might want to get some weather stripping foam to put between the pieces to make a good seal.

Will your cage need a lock or closure of some type?

Just throwing ideas out. Every time I build a new cage, I seem to make 3 separate trips for things I forgot or overlooked the first time.

kriminaal likes this.
  5. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Update: I went to the store and my father insisted we got polycrylic instead which is what we did. We also ended up going with screws and some kind of glue, I believe it was called power grab, that my father applied before hand, I had asked him to make sure it was safe and he said it will be fine. My dad is a landlord and has a guy who makes custom glass so I'll be getting my glass and tracks soon. We've been debating on how to do the light strip though. I've been planning on putting it inside the cage and I wanted to make a little shelf for it but my father said it would be easier to just screw it to the top of the tank. Any opinions on that. There are a few pics of what's done so far. There are two coats of polycrylic and I'm thinking of adding another.

Attached Files:

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It will be fine to screw it to the top of the inside. Makes it easier to tuck the wires away.