This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Mix

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Kazooguyz2, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Hello all-

I currently am using just Eco-Earth as a substrate for all my critters. I am getting tired of continually having to re-fluff it and remove clumps and 'strings' every week. I know that it eventually re-compacts itself due to evaporation. I have seen several custom mixes used by various pet shops and individuals. When I ask whats in it, they all say the same thing: play sand, organic potting soil (no fertilizers or perlite), and peat moss/humus BUT I never get an exact ratio. Since I am soon to be building a custom enclosure for some of my frogs, I would like to know what ratio would be best. One that would stay 'fluffed' yet not dry out. I have several items at my disposal: eco-earth, play sand, organic potting soil, peat humus, T-rex sani-chips, and all living things reptile bark. I also have about 15 pounds of unused aquarium gravel that also can be used (maybe under the custom mix to provide drainage?) The frogs going into the enclosure will be non-burrowing but I would like to use this mix for all my frogs, including the burrowing varieties as well as my anoles. Any help will be appreciated.

2. ccmelin

ccmelin Member

I use about 2/3 peat moss and 1/3 organic topsoil for my tarantulas. Not sure how well it would work for frogs though.