This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Enclosure->how Much Light?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by CentriRitanni, Jun 21, 2012.

1. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

I just finished building the final enclosure for my water dragon. It's pretty cool, to be honest, but I feel really unsure about the lighting. Right now I have 2 24" T5 14watt UVB bulbs. Is that enough?

The below is a paint diagram of my enclosure, the base is 6' long by 3' wide. It goes up 2.5', then goes in 8", up another 2', in another 8". The UVBs are placed where the purple triangles are in the diagram. Would this be sufficient? She also has basking spots using directs 60watt incandescent bulbs in the spots designated by the orange triangles. The heat is at a good range, and it's easy to change if necessary, but is the UVB sufficient?

Are there good ways to test it?

1340273857756.png

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I'm having trouble envisioning your actual enclosure, specifically the lighting setup/placement and materials used. Is the lighting on the outside or inside of the glass/plexi? As for the number of UVB bulbs, you only really need one strategically placed within the enclosure, but since you're using fluorescent lighting multiple UVB options is fine as long as you offer a basking spot that does not include UVB. This will allow the animal to better photoregulate.

In any case a photograph will be extremely useful.

3. gus211

gus211 Well-Known Member

If the enclosure is done why not just put up a picture of the actual enclosure, it would make it easier yo see if the lights work or not.

4. CentriRitanni

I broke my camera phone and can't afford a new one at the moment (since I just finished building an enclosure). Sorry, I thought I put that in my original post. The UVB lights are inside the enclosure with a metal mesh over them.

Once I have a working camera I will most definitely post a pic.

5. uromastyx

uromastyx Well-Known Member

Do you have a laptop with a camera? You could always take a pic with that.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose this design? It seems like it would have been a lot more work to put together, and you end up with less space than if you had just done a rectangular enclosure? Is there some benefit to this pyramid-like setup?

7. CentriRitanni

Unfortunately, no, I don't. I just have an old desktop. :/

My ceiling slopes down to 3', and that's the only spot where I can make that large of an enclosure function. I could have just sloped one side, but that design was more aesthetically pleasing, and actually easier to do since you can get a 90-degree joint instead of trying to figure out the angle.

8. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

No answer your question, probably not. Sorry, but UVB from a tube light is really only good to about twelve inches (and not great at that point, especially with screening over it). With that said, it detoured on where your dragon is going to like to sit. Putting branches right underneath the lights will help encourage it, but you want the dragon within twelve inches to be of any use to calcium absorption. Interesting design, would love to see the final product when you have a working camera.

9. CentriRitanni

With any luck I should have a working camera in the next week or so, but I will be sure to post a picture when I can take one. Is there a better UVB/way to use UVBs?

10. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

The Arcadia bulbs would be the best for tube lighting. As far as other options, a Powersun MVB would direct UVB up to 4-6 feet (1-3 feet is ideal distance). They also act as a basking bulb. For testing, a Solartech SolarMeter 6.2 is the only way to go. It runs about $200 though. Your picture - is is a side view or straight from front? What is the other dimension (2D to 3D) - if that makes sense? :)

11. CentriRitanni

It's 3' deep all the way up (sorry, I thought I had said that earlier). If I get the Arcadia bulbs, and use them to replace the UVBs, should I also taking out the basking lamps? I assume 2 of them would be plenty (please correct me if I'm wrong).

12. CentriRitanni

Oops, misread that the first time. Nevermind. >.<