This Disappears When Logged In

Custom Cuban Rock Iguana Enclosure

Discussion in 'Cyclura - Rock Iguana' started by Kman89, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Kman89

Kman89 Member

I have just about finished my cuban rock iguana enclosure. All I have left to do is waterproof the inside and seal the seams inside. Does anyone know a good waterproofing substance to use that isnt going to be harmful to the iguana? Im also trying to find a new bedding for the inside of the enclosure, I want to use something other then cypress mulch that more closely relates to the iguana's natural habitat possibly a sand/soil mix. any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

cage.jpg

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Minwax polycrylic wood sealer works great, and is totally safe after it cures.

3. Kman89

Kman89 Member

Thanks that stuff worked out great!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you`re using a soil/sand mix and it`s slightly damp and the lizard digs in it you might need something more substantial than varnish to protect the bottom and sides up to the substrate level such as FRP (fibreglass reinforced plastic), or perhaps some pond sealer (epoxy resin).

5. Kman89

Kman89 Member

I coated the base and the sides up to the substrate with something different. Its a waterproof sealant that rubberized when it dried

6. wfocustoms

wfocustoms New Member

what are the dimensions of the enclosure?? How big is your Cuban? I have an 9 month old Cuban that is growing fast some i'm trying to get ideas together to start on a enclosure for him.

7. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Can you post some pics of the iguana and cage please?

8. Laurah

Laurah Member

HI
    I'm new here. My iggy is in a 8 by 9 walkin closet, well it was our closet...she's 5 yrs and 35 inches. It has a full window and my bf built up the floor a little and put sand. We also left the shelves and made it so she can hang out and climb down. She has baseboard heat,lights and heating rocks. I never had a problem with her and she's very happy :)