This Disappears When Logged In

Cubanrock and Rino??? Need Help

Discussion in 'Cyclura - Rock Iguana' started by Cubanrox, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Cubanrox

Cubanrox Member

Hi, I'm new to this. We have I believe a female Cuban rock iguana. She is about 3 years old. We had her in a 150 gallon tank and she has done well. My husband had good light humidity and she has the bark in there. She eats greens daily sometimes grapes carrots and apples. We were searching and searching for a bigger affordable cage for her. We found one. Like 7 feet tall, 8 feet long and about 4 feet deep. But it came with an iguana who needed a home. He is a male rino iguana. About 3 years old. They were doing ok together. Our rock iguana (roxy) is not afraid of Ziggs. They hang out together. But roxy is hiding under her cave the majority of the day and not eating any of the greens. Only a few grapes. This has been going on for about a week. I'm VERY worried about her! Help please... Any advise is greatly appreciated.

2. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Are the 2 living together? Any signs of aggression?

3. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

If things don't work out I would be more than happy to get that rhino from you. I would love to breed them.

4. Cubanrox

Cubanrox Member

Yes they are in the same cage. No signs of aggression at all. At first they did the head bob and whatnot but now they just chill. But my Cuban is not eating!!!

5. Cubanrox

Cubanrox Member

She doesn't seem scared. But maybe stressed? New home and new friend?

6. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Very possible. Especially since the new enclosure is so much larger. Any pictures?

7. Cubanrox

Cubanrox Member

But how long will she go without eating? I'm afraid she going to get sick!
    image.jpg
    This is Ziggs the rhino

8. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Cycluras (the genus rhinos and cubans belong to) are solitary, territorial animals. The one may just be stressed for now, but at some point those two are going to devided up territory. And a cage that small will probably end up with the dominant one controlling the whole thing. If you are going to keep them together they need separate basking areas, hiding places, food bowls, and water sources. Even then if they don't have enough space they'll still have problems.

I recently had a chance to visit a large breeding facility (cycula lewisi, different species but the concepts still apply) and to give you an idea of the kind of space these guys need the adult breeding pairs were kept in 16x32 foot outdoor pens. There was an imaginary line in the middle. I watched a male cross that line and the female went absolutely ballistic, and they were a long term pair that had bred numerous times.

The point I'm trying to make is that you should strongly consider separating them sooner rather then later before they find something to fight over

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I highly recommend separating them. Did you quarantine the new one or just brought it home and tossed yours in the new Viv?
    It sounds like the Cuban is very stressed, not eating is a really bad sign and a week of hardly any food can kill her. There is a good chance that rhino was/is caring something that could make her very sick.

10. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Ehh if it were carrying something there would be signs and I highly doubt it would have affected the cuban so quickly. But I'm no vet that's just my experience. Like I said b4 if you seperate them and don't plan on keeping the rhino I would gladly help you with that. ;)

11. Cubanrox

Cubanrox Member

We plan on separating them to see if roxy will come out and eat and get used to her new cage. If she does well we will try one more time to see if they can be together. They do have separate lights, areas, food and hiding spots. Although they sleep together. Wish us luck! I love my roxy girl and don't want her to get sick. And Ziggs is awesome. But if they cannot be together we will have to sell him to someone that would take good care of him and give him proper care! I'll keep ya updated!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And exactly what signs would those be?
    Reptiles are very good at hiding illness and often are quite ill before it is noticed. This is the reason for 30-60 day quarantines.
    If all you had to do was look at an animal and tell it was not harboring any nasties it would make things much simpler.

13. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Exactly if you have to quarantine it for that long to see of maybe there is something then it wouldn't show so rapidly in the cuban.

And some signs would be anything from eyes, nose, mouth, skin, breathing issue's, abnormal bloating anf any swelling anywhere. Know your animals physical features and behavior. It will help you see these things.

Oh and fecal matter.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And you are missing the point.
    If I have the flu and come up to you and sneeze in your face, you may not immediately have runny nose sneezing etc. However you can start to feel "off" before you ever have any grossly noticeable physical symptoms.

15. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

But you the sneezy rhino would show symptoms. I just believe she is weirded out by 2 things a new friend and a new home. Plus that was the rhinos cahe first meaning it smells if him alone. She is in his house.

16. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

And THAT is the problem. She'll only eat, drink, or bask when and where HE lets her, IF he lets her at all. Not good

17. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Some animals can carry illnesses that don't make them sick but can make others very ill(They are called "carriers"). Plus not every single thing is noticeable on the outside. Like parasites. Parasites can quickly spread and become a problem in a stressed animal. I would separate them and not put them together again. The "just one more time" could be the end of one of both. Reptiles are not social animals, they like their own space. I can't put my water dragons viv in eye site of my male beardies viv, he gets stressed when he see's her.

18. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

You cand find traces of parasites in the poo. Eggs larva worms all kinds of stuff. I had a uro that had intestinal parasites and I saw it the day I got her. She also had an abnormally large belly which lede to believe she was a good eater but I quickly saw I was incorrect. Like I said b4 pay close attention and do research about your animal and its behavior.

19. Really

Really Elite Member

The floor space of your cage is actually way too small for even one adult Cyclura, much less two. The two of them could cohabit a much larger space, but I am guessing, based on reading this, that your Cuban is very stressed. This was already the rhino's cage....

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Or you can quarantine new animals well away from others until you know it's safe to let them together...