This Disappears When Logged In

Ctenosaura Quinquecarinata Info Please!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ctenosaura - Spiny Tail Iguana' started by ninja6259, Jul 17, 2012.

1. ninja6259

ninja6259 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone im interested in ctenosaura quinquecarinata so any info would be great. Like how big they get temps anything would be grand. I have looked online for info but i had no luck finding much info.

2. ninja6259

Why do people look at my post but never say anything all i ask is for alittle info anyone has i know general info on them i just want to know your own experience with club tail iguanas.

3. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

New posts show up at the top of the recent threads list, that's why you may get a fair number of views before anyone replies. Just because someone reads what you posted doesn't mean they have any useful input on the topic. I have never owned one so can't help much but temps, humidity, etc are likely similar to other spiny tailed iguanas. If you can't find much info about the lizard itself but know where they're from you can simply research the region itself for clues on how to keep one. As far as cage size, one you know max adult size just work from there; length double ToL, width equal to Tol, and height to mimic it's behavior in nature.

4. ninja6259

Yea i understand that not everyone has info on everything but even info like you just gave is helpful. I know they get to about 17 inches so they are not large spiny tails. But thank you for giving me so kinda of help any thing is great.

5. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

Okay, do you know if they are community lizards or should be kept solitary?

6. justor

justor Elite Member

Nobody that I'm aware of keeps these ctenos here. I don't even know of anyone who keeps any species of ctenos here but I could be wrong... :/ The club-tails are not something you see every day.

I don't know much about them, and I couldn't find any care info on the web. It appears they are a small species reaching only a little more than a foot or so in length. They come from Costa Rica and Nicaragua so I imagine they would prefer moderate-high humidity and basking temps in the mid 90's, but that's just me speculating. Hopefully that helped a little... probably not.

Do you have a source to get them from? You could ask your supplier how they keep them.

7. ninja6259

yea they said they dont know much about them they got them in and they know general info on them. like that they are a smaller species. They should be kept solitary and they are very fast. And basically everything justor said about them. I do know they are hard to find but they are very hardy. If i end up getting it ill post pics of it so everyone can see how it looks.

8. doubleplusungood

doubleplusungood Well-Known Member

It would be hard to say but since they are similar to iguanas they should probably be kept solitary. Better to keep them alone than to have more than one and end up with fighting lizards and possibly a dead one.

9. ninja6259

I agree with doubleplusungood they should be kept solitary.

10. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

Do you know if they climb much? For a single lizard maxing out at 18" but that's very active you'll probably want a 75/90 gal tank, but a 4x2x2 would be even better. Also, since they're imports you'll want to be very careful at first about diseases, parasites, and excessive stress.

11. ninja6259

At the moment im building a 5 foot tall by 5 foot long by 2 for wide enclosure. And it is about 3 inches long right now so i have a 40 gallon breeder until i finish the cage im building then it will go in there. and they are semi aboreal.

12. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

Ctenosaura quinquecarinata Caresheet - VivaCura.nl

I found this and allowed Google Chrome to translate it for me.

I also found this quote from someone who owned one. Whether or not it is true is a different story, but it's something to look into.

"Cteno care is universal.......It doesn't matter if it a Similis, Pectinata, or Melanosterna........They all shift to a more herbivorous diet as they mature, but every Similis or Pectinata that I've kept would not hesitate to pick off Anoles or Snakes if they had the opportunity..........Clubtails are a downsized version of a Similis, nothing less, nothing more......They need to be kept humid, but not wet, or else they will get sores........Warm and humid is all you need, with a high basking spot.......The typical Iguanid husbandry......."

13. ninja6259

Wolfbandit thank you so much i seen that and some reason Chrome would not translate for me. So thank you for the help

14. doubleplusungood

doubleplusungood Well-Known Member

You could try google translate. They have an option to translate websites if you cannot get it to work in chrome.

15. ninja6259

well thank you everyone for the info and input you have given

16. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

You are very welcome =]