This Disappears When Logged In

Ctenosaura Info?

Discussion in 'Ctenosaura - Spiny Tail Iguana' started by poskok, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poskok

poskok Member

Hi all.
    I’m new to this site and I joined here to learn more about Ctenosauras.
    There is very little information about them on the Net and I have never seen a forum part dedicated to them (except here).
    I’m looking for a pair of C.conspicuosa but before I get them I’d like to hear from people who have experience in keeping them. I have several questions for a start :)
    -What’s their temperament like?
    -What are the main problems in keeping them?
    -Are they strict herbivores like Iguana iguana or is it ok to feed them with insects occassionally?

…And anything you think it’s important for me to know.

Thanks!

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Welcome to the site :)

I don't own an Ig so I can't help you but I'm sure the Ig owners will be around shortly and they will help all they can :)

3. poskok

poskok Member

Thanks!
    I’m not in a hurry:)

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Welcome to HCN!! I, like Steve do not own an iguana but I wanted to say hello.

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome! I can't wait to learn along with you! What do you have now~anything? Any experience with Herps?

6. poskok

poskok Member

Hello! Nice to meet you all.
    I have a little/some experience with reptiles. Now I have bearded dragons (waiting for hatchlings:), leopard and crested geckos. I use to have a green iguana. Cezar (green iguana) was a big green monster and I was very sad when I had to sell him (several years ago when I needed to go to the army). At that moment I promised my self I’ll never sell my pet again, so now I’m doing a lot of planning before I purchase an animal...

7. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Greetings Poskok-

Welcome to Herp Center. We're glad to have you here. I kept a C. similis for a few years (a rescue that we fostered who now has a forever home with our favorite Veterinarian). She was a pretty aggressive creature, very shy and hard to handle. It was only through constant handling that she became manageable. We also discovered that she liked the seclusion of a bedroom, rather than being in the main part of the house with all the human traffic. She calmed down quite a bit when we moved her into a bedroom.

They are not very trusting and tend to hide from everything. As a ground dwelling species Ctenos are more flighty and even more aggressive and un-trusting. It takes a very long time and a lot of work to get them to tolerate you. We kept a length of plastic drain pipe in her enclosure to give her a "borrow" to run into when she was upset. This also helped us handle her, as when she was in the pipe we could move her out to clean the cage. Over a few years she became more trusting and we could handle her without getting bitten. But it was a long road. Handling and biting were definitely the most challenging parts of keeping her in the beginning.

She was fed the same diet as our Iguana iguana. Once every few months she got a pinky, but it's not really necessary (and nasty to watch). Mostly she sustained and thrived on an "iguana salad'. As babies and juveniles they tend to be omnivorous (in a very opportunistic way in survival mode). As adults they are florivorous/herbivorous.

Good luck with your search for information. It took me a very long time to gather all the necessary information to give her good care.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

8. poskok

poskok Member

Thanks for sharing your experience Dominick, it was very useful. So, standard green iguana diet will work for Ctenosauras too. I guess their possible health problems will be similar to those green iguanas can have? Do you think that all Ctenosauras tend to be as aggressive as C.similis? I know that even some green iguanas can be aggressive sometimes but, as specie, is aggressive behavior characteristic for all Ctenosauras?
    Can you tell me something about their sex dimorphism and maturity age?
    Ok. now I’m bombing you with questions so I’ll stop for now :)

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I don't have any answers for you but Welcome To HC!:D

Why do you specifically want a C.?

10. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Welcome aboard, and have a great stay!

It's good to see that someone is willing to do a lot of research before 'jumping' in, just to have a new pet.

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I wouldn't get 2 if you get one. Iguanas are hard to find home for and breeding just doesn't seem like a great plan expecially if you have never had them before! And a spiny tail bing more exotic than a green iguana would make chances even harder for finding great homes, many want iguanas for the I'm so cool I have an iguana factor.

12. poskok

poskok Member

Why Ctenosaura? Well, it was love at first site :) I have had different reptiles (and I still do) and Ctenosauras have combination of all their characteristics that I like. Reptiles are, in the main, long lived animals so if I’m going to dedicate a big part of my life to some specie I’ll like it to be as perfect as it’s possible for me. I have all my animals in pairs but that doesn’t mean that I’ll breed all of them all the time (now I’m breeding only bearded dragons). It’s all about love and long term planning :)

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Well in my opinion you have the perfect recipe for owning a C. - LOVE!

Hope you will share the pics with us when you own one in the future!:D

14. poskok

poskok Member

Just for the record: I’m still curious about those questions :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.