This Disappears When Logged In

Ctenosaura = a Rock Iguana?

Discussion in 'Ctenosaura - Spiny Tail Iguana' started by jaydsr2887, Mar 20, 2014.

1. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

hey just out of curiosity, I am wondering if a Ctenosaura is a species or are they closely related to the rock iguanas? I don't know and my opinion could be wrong so im just wondering if somebody on here could clear this up if it is a misunderstanding.... thank you for you help in advanced.....

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. Rock iguanas are cyclura species.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

ok so two separate species then..... I knew cyclura were rocks but I thought rocks were a broader verity.... so what is the difference between the two?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are several species of cyclura or "rock iguanas". They are native to the west indies and are found throughout the Caribbean islands, Greater Antilles, and the Bahamas.
    Ctenosaurs are native to Mexico and Central America, although some species have become introduced to southern areas of Texas and Florida.
    I guess if you want to get picky, both are related by being part of the large, iguanadae group.

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I knew they are both related by the iguanadae family, as im trying to learn as much as they are my fav group of reptiles.... that's why I asked so if I was wrong I could be corrected, so thank you merlin for clearing that up for me :)