This Disappears When Logged In

Crushed

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by TJOHNSON722, May 28, 2011.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Picked up the baby red tail/common boa last night. He had no water and no heat and lights. Put him in quarantine last night with heat and lights. Fed him bc the idiot said he hadnt been fed in 2 weeks. Checked on him at 1230am and as of 630am he is dead. I have no idea what happened and he was the sweetest little guy. I am absolutely heartbroken. I will never do that again ( buy off someone I dont know). Had to share with my herpcenter family.

2. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

That's terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that. Some people should not own pets if they don't take the initiative to learn and take care of them.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

i dont think i mentioned, ho heat, and windows open -all of them. They were moving and left them there. I also found a mite crawling around on his mouth before we fed him so to boot, he had mites. I am so mad and hurt at the same time. Last night his temps were 85 hot and 75 cool with 45 humidity. I dont know what I did wrong.

4. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

I don't think it was anything you did. The stress and sudden change, even though good, could have been too much since he was already unhealthy. It seems to me that these people left him barely surviving, and he just couldn't hang on. How long was he like that?

5. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Sorry for your lose. We were close to losing our newest rescue a few weeks ago.

6. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

very sorry to hear that.
    at least s/he had the proper living conditions for its last hours!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stop that! You didn't do it!
    Dying that quickly,.... there is nothing you could have done.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

thank you all. i know it wasnt anything i did, my heart just breaks for the little guy because i shouldve gotten him sooner. im not sure how long he was like that, when she the previous owner arrived at the apartment, she said "i havent been here in over a week so i dont know how itll be in there". i emailed her and tried to call her but no reply yet. but now, she probably wont give me the other two who hasnt eaten in over 2 mths which im supposed to pick up this week.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Just make sure that those mites don't spread to the rest of your collection!!!!!!
    The snake was dying before you got it.
    At least he had a warm, caring place in which to die! :)

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very sad story!:(
    Like everyone mentioned, You are not to blame, he was neglected by his previous owners by not providing him with the necessities of life. Without heat and windows open he was probably suffering with a lot of problems, unable to eat, RI and so much more. Your heart was in the right place, too bad the little guy was so sick!

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

so sorry for you loss! Obviously the death resulted from the neglect of the previous owner, there is absolutely nothing you did wrong.

12. geckograndma

geckograndma Well-Known Member

Boy, if you do try to take on the other two, you better "harden your heart" and remember you can only do your best.

13. target1911

target1911 Well-Known Member

And quarantine them cuz they will have mites as well.

I'm sorry for your loss. I just don't get some people.

14. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

People are cruel. How could someone just leave a living creature in an empty apartment with an improper setup for 2 weeks? Sickening.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. You did what you could.

15. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

thank you all so much. thankfully we didnt even take him near my other ones but regardless ill still treat cages and watch carefully. we took his cage outside on the deck an i plan on bleaching it and spraying it with a garden hose alot. i cant pass up that big of a cage. after careful consideration im not taking the other two that was in the house on. maybe in a month or two ill adopt from the local rescue or get one at the shows. make sure its an actual red tail too instead of educated guesses on my part. i plan on burying him tonight under our rose bush. so sad though.

16. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

If you have the old owner's name and address, you can report them to the humane society. The ASPCA can probably also get their name and address if they talk to the management of the apartment where they used to live. Their other 2 animals need to be rescued and they need to be brought to justice.