This Disappears When Logged In

Crocodile Behaviour And Communication With Humans?

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by Susie321, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Susie321

Susie321 New Member

I visited a crocodile park, and some of the crocs seemed to react to my talking to them in surprising ways. Im not used to crocodiles and now I'm curious to know, how crocodiles communicate with people.
    The thing is, I'm an animal lover, and so I talked to the crocodiles telling them how beautiful and cute they were. I gave them the regular crazyness "oh you're so cute, oh, what a nice pond you have"..About 6 crocs came to me and all of them were resting there in front of me, staring at me at the same time-- they were very relaxed. One of the crocs suddenly looked at a flower in front of her and started biting it, lips almost closed, she then looked at me again. This moment was very surprising to me!! It was as if she was aware of my admiration and wanted to get my full attention (you know, like dogs do when they show you their bellies). SO my question is, is it possible? Or am I just imagining things? Did all those crocs react to my talking to them, because they wanted to eat me, OR because they enjoyed the interaction? Are they capable of that?

My questions may seem stupid, but I would so appreciate it, if someone could enlighten me as I havent been able to get any info on this. People really do not know much about crocodilians. Does someone have a pet croc and seen this kind of behaviour?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Crocs in a "park" are fed by humans. so they associated you with food. A very dangerous situation. The only real communication was them inviting you to dinner.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would agree with Merlin, they found you extremely attractive (as a potential meal)...
    There was a video of a man who "befriended" a wild crocodile, he used to swim in the water and make regular physical contact with it, this was over many, many years and if I remember correctly he actually helped the animal when it had been injured in the very begining. If I can find the video I`ll put it up...

Qwerty3159 and mshrmheadcharge like this.
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Here it is, clearly not a fake story...

Kristof and Qwerty3159 like this.
  5. dp428

dp428 Established Member

I love this video, it rlly shows how a bond is created. If u want an animal to be your pet and be "Tame" i guess, you need to create a bond that usually takes a long time.

Qwerty3159 and murrindindi like this.