This Disappears When Logged In

Crickets....... Dying.......

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by schmidt1894, Oct 6, 2012.

1. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

I cannot... for the sake of my life... keep crickets alive.

I dont know why.. but most of my 1000 crickets are already dead.. And i just got them last week...

I have 2, 10 gallon tanks that i split them in... I have dog food available for them 24/7..

is it possible that they dont have enough room and are killing each other????

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Do they have egg cartons? Is there mold on the dog food? And it's not abnormal that crickets die a lot. Have you tried breeding them?

3. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

yes, they do...

ad no there is no mold on the dog food...

and lol idk how to breed them.. so i guess no?

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

They are cannibalistic even if there's food present so I'm not sure about that-maybe another user will know. Maybe try taking everything out-quick wash of the tanks then replace.

5. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

maybe they just dont have enough space...?

6. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Theres 500 in each ten? I'm not sure-never kept them in a tank. But that sounds like a lot of crickets for a ten gallon. Maybe get a plastic sterile bin. Those work great. And then you have two ten gallons for something else ;)

7. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Do you have water source for your crickets? If not, they would likely be dying from dehydration.

While I don't have 1000 crickets, I do keep about 300-400 on hand at once, and have a fairly low death rate.

I bought a large bag of rolled oats and dumped it in the container.
    Added a couple slices of crumbled up bread.
    Sliced up some carrots and potatoes and dumped those in.
    Added several empty paper towel rolls, half resting at a vertical angle, half horizontally across the bottom.
    Added some shredded egg cartons.
    Added crickets.
    Simple, easy setup, and the only maintenance that's required is replenishing their water source (carrots and potatoes) and picking out the odd dead cricket.

I don't breed them intentionally as I don't feed enough of them. However, if I were to, I would add a small tupperware container full of damp substrate (coco husk, eco earth, soil, etc.) in one corner of their container. This is where they'll lay their eggs.

8. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

yeah i do have a plastic sterile bin... didnt think of it when i got them lol.

and yeah...right!:) more crested geckos!!:) but, i dont need anymore lizards.... i have enough on my hands. will use the two 10 gallon tanks for when i clean my monster's tanks..:)

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Just dog food isn't healthy enought for them. Add some veggies. 500small crickets are fine in a 10 gallon if you have enough egg crate thought as with everything larger is better. Are they getting squished? Are you sure it is dead crickets not just their molts?

10. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Crickets are such a pain! I have the same problem even if I have only 100 in a tank. Within a week they're all dead even if they have hides and food and everything!

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you buying adult crickets? The entire lifespan is 8 weeks.

12. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

wait... crickets molt?

and whatcha mean squished? nothing can really squish them

13. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

I keep 1,000 crickets (1/3 grown) in a ten gallon tank with a non-locking lift off screen lid (no cats or dogs indoors). I keep them on the bare glass (no substrate). I only use the egg cartons that were shipped with them. There are two small butter carton lids; one for Fluker's cricket diet, one for Fluker's cricket quencher/w calcium. That's it. The food/water supply is replenished about every 3 days. I don't count the dead but it is less than 25 in the one month that it takes me to use them all.

I have the same question as Merlin. What age/size are you buying? Their entire lifespan is 8 weeks.

Also, fumes will kill them. Is there anything in the vicinity of your tank that is strongly scented?

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes crickets molt. They have a thin outer shell that they shed each time they grow. They will attach their feet to something and then wiggle out of it and will be a pale color until the new shell hardens. If you look at the "dead" crickets do they seem flat and empty?
    Also my crickets like to sort of climb under the dish i put the water crystals in and then get squished when the cage is moved or I bump the dish with the feeder tubes.

15. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Ohh... I get 1/2 to 2/3 grown crickets. So idk how old that is. And hmm. Next time I will have to check to see if it's molt or not.. Lol.

An with the egg crate, is that all the egg crate you use or no? Just the ones that come with? Or do you add more?

And I think it was my end, the lack of water/cubes...

I'm gonna be ordering more within a day or two... Any suggestions to where I should buy another 1000 crickets? So far, I've tried Armstrong crickets, and premiumcrickets. Both are good cricket sources. Anybody recomand any others?

16. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

So you don't give them any water or veggies/fruits that contain water?

17. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

yeah, no water source = death, cannibalization.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

minimum care includes: egg crate they come with, water source, dry food stuff(store bought or home mix), and random veggie scraps.
    You don't need extra egg crate unless you allow them to grow quite a bit. And substrate isn't necessary either. You don't even have to have the food and water on a dish, it just makes it a lot easier to clean and cuts down on the chance of mold.

19. Kyrsten

Kyrsten Well-Known Member

I use the fluckers full diet orange stuff, which comes in a big jar, that gives them all their water and nutrients. I only buy about 20-36 crickets a week though , which is a lot less than you have in your tanks xD make sure your crickets have the right heat and humidity. Crickets live better if its a little over 80 degrees.

20. Kyrsten

Kyrsten Well-Known Member

Also, when crickets die they release a toxin that kills other crickets faster. Maybe try to remove dead ones with tongs if you can :)