This Disappears When Logged In

Cricket Water Crystal Formula?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Jeepster, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

I'm trying to figure out how much Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Chloride, by weight, to add to a gallon of water to make cricket water crystals. I've searched quite a bit but haven't been able to find a recipe. Anyone with the info willing to share? Thanks!

2. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

I think maybe it's Calcium Carbonate not chloride...

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not sure what you are expecting to create with calcium carbonate and potassium sorbate. Potassium sorbate is a preservative for food and calcium carbonate is a raw form of pure calcium. Combining those 2 ingredients isn't going to make water crystals. I suppose you could add those ingredients to polymer crystals but then you are just wasting money since your crickets need the crystals for water and food for nutrients.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And if you are simply trying to reduce the cost of the crystals, you can get the same material at garden shops. They are sold as an amendment for potting soil and are considerably less expensive. Just ask for agro soak crystals.

5. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

I have water crystals. The potassium as you said is a preservative to prevent mold and the calcium is to gut load extra calcium. These are the ingredients in flukers cricket quencher.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Excess calcium will kill your crickets. That's why we dust them as opposed to trying to gut load them. The crystals are simply for water.

7. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

Actually using on dubias.

8. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

So flukers cricket quencher kills crickets? Never heard that.

9. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

You don't seem to understanding what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to "clone" Fluker's Cricket Quencher. Using water crystals, water, potassium and calcium as those appear to be the ingredients used by Fluker's.

10. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Fluker's Cricket Quencher does not in itself kill insects. Things to feed/water them that have too much calcium will. Dusting is a better method of making sure the feeder insect has an appropriate amount of calcium because if the insect were to ingest enough to equal the amount that would typically be on their bodies if they were dusted, it would kill them.
    Your best bet is to try contacting Fluker's and see if they'll give you the information because I don't think anyone but the manufacturer knows the exact amounts added, and Merlin's point is adding too much would be and easy thing to do and also it would be fatal to the crickets/roaches.
    In my opinion it'd be easier to buy the cheaper plant water crystals in bulk, or make water crystals without any supplement and then add that later, but that's just my suggestion.

11. Jeepster

Jeepster Member

Ok, thanks for the responses, your time and effort is greatly appreciated.