This Disappears When Logged In

Cricket Infestation

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by AmityReptiles, Sep 20, 2017.

1. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Hello all,
    So I had converted my sav enclosure to bioactive, introducing springtails, isopods, and kind of intentionally introduced darkling beetles. And they have taken over, which is great! But my feeder crickets have somehow started a colony in there as well, which is a little concerning. I'm also seeing the same crickets pop up around the house which is irritating.
    I always watch to make sure she eats them when I feed crickets, but some females must have gotten away long enough to lay eggs. So I have alot of small-medium crickets in the enclosure... atleast 50. Which I only feed large adult crickets so these have to be offspring. And I'm not sure, but I think they're eating my Springtails, because I haven't seen very many of them recently.

Put simply, is there an easy way to get them out? Will they die off eventually if I switch to just other feeders?

2. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

I don't think converting to other feeders will be very effective. you can try moving the sav for a short period of time, and trying to use pet safe insecticides.mJust make sure its pet safe first, and after using it, let the enclosure air out. Good Luck

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

That would basically mean destroying my bioactive setup and replacing the "I don't even remember how many" bags of soil and sand. I would like to avoid that if possible.

4. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

Oh I forgot you had a bioactive setup