This Disappears When Logged In

Cricket Home

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by mjack360, Jul 19, 2013.

1. mjack360

mjack360 Active Member

I have just started ording my crickets online because the price I have been paying at Petco was unbelieveable. For 200 crickets at Petco I can buy 1000 online with shipping, so this will be an easy way to cut costs. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what else I need to get so I can order a larger quantity of crickets while keeping them alive for as long as I can. I do not want to breed them, just buy them in bulk.

Right now I have a 20 gallon high tank (not sure on measurements), screen top, food dishes for them, and water pods for them to drink from. I am also going to use the egg crates that come with the first shipment as a home for them. I have read from other forums that they also need a heating pad underneath the tank? I have also read that if they are smaller then 1/2 an inch you can keep them in an are with a temp between 85-95. If so will I still need an under tank heater? My garage sits at 91 degrees and thats where I am wanting to keep them.

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

1000 crickets in a 20gal tank will not survive long. There simply isn't enough space for them, and they will succumb to stress, excess humidity and temperatures, and being crushed to death by one another.

I order 1000 crickets at a time, and keep them in 35-40 gal Rubbermaid tub with ventilation holes in the side. I use the egg crates that come in the shipping boxes, as well as several paper towel tubes that serve as cricket catchers. Unless you plan on breeding them, I see no need for a heat pad. They can actually endure a wide range of temps if the purpose is purely survival until they become food for a critter. I find that anywhere from 75-95F they can survive pretty well.

Space, and plenty of food and water sources are the most important factors for keeping them alive long enough to feed them off. I keep mine on a bed of oats, bran, and wheat germ, then replenish them with potatoes and carrots every few days. Where they're kept, the temp ranges from about 80F-95F. With this setup, I have a very low death rate.

3. mjack360

mjack360 Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply. About how many do you think I should order at a time, given the amount of space I have? I've been going through about 200 every 3 or 4 days now. I know ordering them will make it a lot easier then running to the nearest Petco several times a month.

4. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Going through that many, I used to order 3000-4000 at a time in a sterilite tub with egg cartons, etc. Some died, but it was still cheaper to get combined shipping. I used to use reptilefood.com. If you go through that many, I would also suggest looking into dubia roaches. I haven't ordered crickets for a while now, but feed out about 50-150 mixed sized dubia roaches per week. Now more smell, filth, or monthly shipping of crickets.

5. mjack360

mjack360 Active Member

I've thought about going with roaches but the girlfriend quickly shot down that idea. She HATES roaches, so getting her to help feed then will be impossible. I'm ordering mine from flukerfarms.com because I can get 1000 of them for $14.50 with only $3 shipping.

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

If you want to use the 20gal you have, I wouldn't put more than 500 at once in there. Even that might be pushing it. The most I ever kept in an enclosure of that size was 300.

7. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Go to Family Dollar or WalMart and look for the big 30 or 40L tote. They range from about 9-13 dollars. I think I paid 12 for mine at Family Dollar. Remember crickets CAN chew through some materials so use heavy metal screen and use a glue gun to glue it on. But with crickets no matter what you do - they die fast. In my opinion you are better to order smaller crickets because they grow fast. Only order as many as you can use in about a week or two honestly. And remember that they cannot support heavy calcium loads because they can't shed.

As for the roaches with your girlfriend? Tell her they are beetles...lol lol lol I have a friend who does that actually.