This Disappears When Logged In

Crichton ate!!!

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

We've had our little GTP, Crichton, for two weeks now. We needed to give him time to adjust and he was in shed, but FINALLY tonight he ate for the first time for us!!!!!! (His last meal was 3 weeks ago and that really started to seem like a long time for such a small snake.)
    It took a bit of coaxing, but he finally snapped at it and coiled around it. Then he just hung there from his branch squeezing it in his coils for over 30 minutes or so. When I saw that his head came back up and the mouse was still in his coils below, I thought for sure he'd just drop it, but just when I was sure he wouldn't take it, I checked again with the flashlight and he was slowly moving down towards it... I saw his mouth open over it's head and I shut off the light and hurried upstairs to tell Martin the news. When I came back, the pinkie was almost completely down. WOOOOHOOO!! :D
    Sorry no pics of the event, but I really didn't want to do anything that would cause him to stress out and drop it.

2. ChondroDoc

ChondroDoc Member

Hello Blackjack
    Congratulations, good job. :D

3. BlackJack

Hmmmm ChondroDoc, you have EXACTLY the same animals (with the same names!) in your signature as I do... could it be that you're my husband writing your first post here because YOUR baby boy, Crichton, (pictured here in your avatar) ate tonight for the first time?! ;)

PS -- welcome to Herp Center, ChondroDoc! :D

4. venus

venus Founding Member

lmao..You guys are to funny..Welcome ChrondoDoc, glad to see you post, lol. Congrats on him eating finally. I am patiently waiting new pics. :)

5. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Congratulations Martin and Andrea! =)
    Btw, welcome to HC, Martin! =)

6. BlackJack

Just something I forgot to mention: the "food" was a F/T mouse! YAY!!! (He had been alternately fed live and F/K so I'm glad he was able to make the switch so quickly. (It's REALLY hard to get live pinkies unless you raise them yourself.)
    I did try the "Indian" trick since he didn't take the mouse at first.
    I read about the "Indian" trick in a German book on GTPs that we have.
    To convince a fussy eater, you can get some down feathers and stuff them in the pinky's mouth so that it has a feathery head-dress (that's why it's called "Indian") ;) Apparently the feel of the soft feathers on the snake's tongue excite them more and get them to bite at the food.
    I'm not sure if this is what made the difference, but I was happy that he finally took the mouse and swallowed it. Hopefully we won't have to do this again.
    (The lady at the pet store gave me a really weird look when I asked her if I could have some of the shed down feathers from her parrot!)

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

congrats on your guy eating. and welcome to HC! :)

8. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Welcome to HC ChondroDoc! Andrea,this is cute how you introduced your hubby,very funny!

9. Paleosuchus

Paleosuchus Established Member

Neat trick there blackjack, and congrats on a successful feed.
    -jason

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Great news, and a warm welcome to Chondrodoc!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.