This Disappears When Logged In

Crestie Terrarium Heating Question

Discussion in 'Heating' started by hornet136, Jan 16, 2014.

1. hornet136

hornet136 Member

So I finished setting up my crestie terrarium but having trouble getting it up to daytime temp. The ambient temp in the room and tank is about 68 degrees +/-1 so I'm fine at night. This is a live planted 55 gal tank with about 4" of substrate. I have tried using an infrared heat light but that only gets it to about 72 but it drops the humidity drastically. I just picked up a ceramic infrared heater but I'm afraid this will do the same thing. I am thinking of ordering a heat mat and hydrofarm thermostat. Would this work better for getting the tank up to daytime temp? And if so where do I mount the probe? At the surface of the substrate? I have a drainage layer of about 1" of rock then about 3" of abgs so would the UTH be able to heat it thoroughly?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have not setup any Cresties before but had a Gargoyle gecko setup.
    What I find is for some reason people don't seal the tops of their enclosures. Even though They require fairly high humidity.
    Just a note that this would help maintain heat and humidity.

Heating from below I think would dry out the substrate too much and you would lose your humidity. Unless you had a system for misting that would regularly keep the substrate damp. Then a heat pad would work nicely and likely help with keeping your heat and humidity constant. Which should be your goal.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah get a piece of plywood and cut it to the width and length of the top of your viv and then cut the hoes in to just enough to fit your lights in it and it should work.....you don't need to worry about ventilation because air can get in through the cracks around your lights and also can get in when you open to get your lizard out and when you feed him......or you can do as ive heard others say and got the same effect by covering the screen wit aluminum foil....... good luck

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

What about increasing the overall temps of your home? This is usually the easiest method. Even by a couple degrees would make a difference to the overall temp in your gecko enclosure.

If that's not an option, then yes, a heat pad would work best, although it's designed more for spot heating than overall ambient heating (it will make some difference though).

Another option is to provide your gecko with UVB light for daytime. While cresties don't require UVB light (it's up for debate as to whether there are known benefits to providing it) it certainly won't hurt them. UVB light naturally puts off some heat, which may be enough to provide you with the temps you need.