This Disappears When Logged In

Crestie Screen Top

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by ExoJoe, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

i have one of the tall exo terra terrariums for my crestie. I always open the front doors to most the cage, but the screen top is starting to rust. My question is whether the rust could hurt him if he was to decide to climb on it. Also does anyone have any ideas other than rescreening the top. I wouldn't have any issues with that I used to fix window and door screens for a living I just was checking for some different creative ideas.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Usually when metal starts to rust it is decaying or breaking down. This little pieces could potentially cut him. Either from pieces falling off or from him climbing on it.
    I would replace it. As far as a creative idea, I'm lacking in that department.

3. mdeford09

mdeford09 Well-Known Member

The oxidation of metals actually occurs in the wild quite abundantly so, chances are that it is not toxic at all.

But, I do agree with kriminaal in that once it is rested enough, edges can become sharp and pieces can even fall. Also, if peices large enough to hurt him are falling, they are also large enough for him to escape through.

Honestly, I would contact Exo Terra.. this seems like a design flaw as they should have used aluminum, which lasts MUCH longer and holds up to high humidity... You put steel/iron in high humidity, it only has 2-3 years max before it is rusting badly while aluminum will last a good 15-20 years.

4. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

I have read other forums and people haven't any luck with contacting Exo Terra they just offered a new lid. I think I am going to just take it to work and have one of my coworkers in the hardware department replace it with aluminum. I will just have to tell him to make sure there is no sharp remnants hanging out of the spline. I would like to go to nylon screen but when winter comes around and I put a lamp on top I don't want it to melt.

kriminaal likes this.
  5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I'm not familiar with the construction of Exo Terras but if they have the lips on the inside rim for the top to rest on, you could always fashion a lid out of plexiglass or a similar material.