This Disappears When Logged In

Crested Gecko Wirth Thick Semen

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by CrazyMan, Jun 3, 2014.

1. CrazyMan

CrazyMan Member

My 3 year male old crested gecko ( I adopted him ~1 month ago, has been randomly ejaclulating, and eating his semen, so I have two questions

1. Is it normal for them to ejaculate and eat semen (I don't even own a female)

2. His semen is thickness similar to Vaseline, and looks like it to, is this normal?

P.s I really hope I used correct terms there lol

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It does sound strange but someone had mentioned that maybe it has something to do with him marking territory?

3. CrazyMan

CrazyMan Member

Yah, that would make sense, what about thickness, do I need to take them to a vet?

4. kriminaal

Totally new to me, especially in these amounts. Hopefully someone can have more input.

5. CrazyMan

CrazyMan Member

Just to clarify, I see him do it about once a day

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Mine started doing this within the last six months, he also has become quite aggressive in and out of his cage. He usually latches on to my hand, won't let go for a minute or to, then produce semen and eat it like you described. It is also quite viscous.
    The behaviour has diminished, so I just assumed it was a territorial breeding behaviour. He used to be quite nice, but now all he does is bite. Lol. He's 2 1/2 yrs old at this time.

7. CrazyMan

CrazyMan Member

Haven't noticed any behavior changes in mine...

8. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Short answers:

1. Yes
    2. Yes

If he was previously exposed or bred to a female, this also seems to increase their male-based tendencies.

Some males become more aggressive, whereas some just become more...excitable. It all depends on the gecko.

If he seems to spend an excessive amount of time licking himself, then I would check him out a bit more. In this case, he may have a blockage (e.g. sperm plug) which can lead to swelling and infection, or a prolapse, which needs to be treated asap.

9. CrazyMan

CrazyMan Member

Ok, good I was getting worried. I think he is fine because other than that he seems to be in perfect health!

10. kriminaal

Very interesting. I had just assumed they were like other Geckos that rub their tails and vent on the ground for marking.