This Disappears When Logged In

Creepy crawlers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Infernalis, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

When I was in Brasil back in 1992, Roberto had bars and shutters for windows. we had all kinds of geckos just running up the walls in the living room, they would wander in at night to feed on the bugs drawn to the lights.

It was awesome.

2. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

Re: Monitor Picture Thread!!!

We get that further north, here (geckos running around on the walls). Down in Sydney we just get huge spiders.
    116720049.jpg

Attached Files:

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I miss having huge spiders in my house. Does that make me weird?

4. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

extremely

5. BarelyBreathing

I'm fine with that. :)

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I love spiders, but the only ones I enjoy having in the house are jumpers. I was fine with others until I started getting a lot of wolf spiders, which seemingly gravitated towards my bed...at night...while I was in it. Nothing like waking up with a 1.25" spider on your face and or several spider bites. es no bueno.
    Jumpers=OK
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4066/4662018205_daba4739a3_b.jpg
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4021/4613243467_e6c1c0e587_b.jpg
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4035/4575443539_1b205c2785_b.jpg
    Wolf spiders=not so much
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6150/5962561829_8f8c08d47c_b.jpg
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4031/4671023832_513c8394d8_b.jpg

Anyway, back to scheduled programing...

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

We get those things in Melbourne too David, though I personally believe they`ve all come down from Sydney to intimidate the friendly (and sophisticated) Melbournians. Can you come and take them home please, as I`ll be back for a couple of months later this year. Your help is much appreciated. (Thanks).....

Attached Files:

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is a list somewhere stating, on average, how many spiders a human will swallow while they are sleeping.

You are asking that to a community of those who live with big snakes and lizards?
    And who deliberately bring cockroaches into their house? :rolleyes:

9. BarelyBreathing

Lol, true.

10. justor

justor Elite Member

Bleh! I hate wolf spiders! At the place I was living about 2 years ago they would be everywhere at a certain time of year. Like I would walk up my patio to go through the front door and would pass by no less than ten clinging onto the wall.

And the way they walk around with hundreds of little babies holding onto their backs is just disgusting. I was using some spider spray on them one time and I sprayed this one wolf spider which then fell off the wall and all the little baby spiders scattered everywhere. It was like a horror movie. So glad I don't live in that part of town anymore.

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha don't get me wrong, I respect most living things (invasive pests are the exception) I just don't enjoy them biting me in my sleep--my body doesn't take insect bites very well at all. If I see an 'undesirable' inside I'll usually grab a container or just get it to walk onto my hand in order to release it outside. Very rarely does one get the squash. I'm one of very few, I'm sure.

12. justor

justor Elite Member

For the most part I would try to just ignore them, I rarely found them inside my house. Black widows were much more common to see inside, and oddly I am much less fearful of them than I am of wolf spiders. Every once in a while though I would have to make my rounds along the outside of the house because they just get so out of control around those parts. I couldn't squash a wolf, they're just too big, too much guts etc. So I just use the spray.

13. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

Great photos, Vers. Jumping spiders are fantastic, such cute little things.

The wolf spiders around here are pretty big - 2" or so. I had fun with my god-daughter over the xmas holidays teasing them out of holes with a bit of twig. This photo was taken with a flash at night - I had to use her torch/flashlight to focus on the spider and barely succeeded.
    140616648.jpg

Justor, I'm astounded that someone into 'unpopular' animals such as reptiles would then turn around and use bug spray on a spider.

Attached Files:

14. justor

justor Elite Member

What can I say, I am not a fan. I've never been bitten by one, and have no reason specifically to dislike them, but for some reason I hold them in a completely different catagory than any other spider. They just give me the creeps like nothing else I have ever seen. And like I said I try my best to ignore them, but when I can no longer go out on my patio to smoke a cigarette for fear of being "attacked" by the dozens of relatively large spiders out there it's time to do something about them. In that area they would "swarm" seasonally and if you've ever seen videos of the tarantula invasions that happen in Mexico it's very similar to that. They are just everywhere. I wish they were in fact tarantulas. I have nothing against them, but wolf spiders... no thank you.

15. Vers

Vers Elite Member

That's pretty large--some species of fishing spider can get around up to and over 3" (legspan) and they are, to my knowledge, the largest spider we get here in the North East. In fact, it's the only spider that has ever tried to go after me, literally chasing me away from it's den. I've never experienced anything like it. Luckily they primarily inhabit water ways and not houses :)
    4810234699_5a09136543_z.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Vers

Vers Elite Member

hahaha sorry! What can I say, I'm a bit ADD

17. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

Vers, the water/fishing spiders here are huge. Leg-span of 12-15cm (6" or more)

One last creepy crawly - if you want something that will freak you out, try these for size. This one, found a few weeks ago while herping, was just under 18cm long.
    140356183.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Man, Australia is my number one vacation destination--one day.

19. BarelyBreathing

I had HUGE red and yellow centipedes in and around my house when I lived in Okinawa. Apparently if you kill them, their blood attracts more.

20. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

I smell old-wives-tale/urban myth.