This Disappears When Logged In

CRB Suicide? Please Help

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by GlassPrison, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlassPrison

GlassPrison New Member

Okay , about a week ago i purchase a CRB. The first couple of days she was fine. Very curious, very active and seemed very comfortable in her new enclosure. About 2 days ago when i went in to check on her after i woke up she was curled up in her water bowl. Now i have many other snakes so i know some like their to sit in water (no she doesn't have mites). After inspecting more her head was fully submerged. I quickly took off the lid and picked her up and she was ice cold. I took the water bowl out and put her directly under the heat and then she got back to normal. I have a nice 83-88 hot side and 75 cool side. After that day i have been keeping a close eye on her. Last night she did it again. Fully submerged herself and ice cold. Along with being ice cold she hardly moves. Almost like seized up. I dont know really what to do. Any ideas on whats going on?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't own a rainbow boa, but how is the humidity and how are you measuring it?

3. GlassPrison

GlassPrison New Member

The humidity is just under 70%. I am measuring it with two hydrometers. One in the air and one in the substrate.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Generally when a snake spends a lot of time in the water it signals one of two things. The enclosure is too warm or mites. What type of device are you using to check your temps and where is it located.
    Check the water bowl and the snake for what looks like flecks of pepper.

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I have a different boa, one that hates humidity, but before she sheds, she does the same thing. Is it possible that your snake is hunkering down for shed?

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Mine did the same thing. About a week later i found mites. They are litterally so little you can barely see them. In the water bowl she was in see if there is anything in there at all!

7. GlassPrison

GlassPrison New Member

I dont know the last time that she shed cause i just got her but there is not sign of her going in blue. Maybe she is about to. I have checked the waterbowl a billion times for mites and there is nothing. One of my snakes have had mites before so i know what they look like and there is nothing.

8. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, ice cold in a 75 - 88 degree enclosure? Honestly I'm not up on CRB temps but she may be retreating to the water to get away from the heat and then the water is too cold. First thing is to research the proper temps and make adjustments if necessary.

I would also move the water bowl towards the warmer side of the cage. Not directly on the heat but more like upper 70's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.