This Disappears When Logged In

Crappp. Them Dubia

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by model700, Jul 22, 2013.

1. model700

model700 Well-Known Member

ok i would like to get one thing straight here. dubia are capable of flying. thats that. ill tell you what has been happening. so when i maintain my dubias cages, i leave the top open because im always exchanging foods andegg crates and what not. and this is why they are escaping. its sorta a myth that males have wings but dont fly. thats weong. males have wings but dont fly when they dont have to. i have discovered this for my self. ive heard roaches at night and when i find them, they are ALWAYS males. 5 times now and i only have 15 or so males. its getting really annoying cuz my family hates roaches and i get in trouble whenever they find one.(still yet to come ) especially this time. about 10 minutes ago i was going to the bathroom ready to go to sleep when my sister yells saying one of my animals escaped and is in her room. "Oh ****!" is what im thinking. im dead. so i look for a while dont find anything and claim its a mouse in the wall or something.(it was making squeakin sounds) she insists o look more and she leaves while i look so i open her closet and a male dubia flies across the room into a junk pile in her room. i find it and say it was a cricket cuz of the squeaking chirpy sound. im really fed up because they seem to always escape and im just tryna tell people who think roaches are easy to keep in their cages should think about it. keep a cover on the cage. always close the cage too. roach escapes are not usually welcome with your girlfriend or maybe boyfriend, many times family or spouses.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Male dubias can fly a limited amount. More like a hover and scoot. They do not have much in the way of vertical lift. That said I have been keeping dubias for some time and never seen even one male fly.
    Dubias are easy to keep in their enclosure! Sounds to me more like the roaches are just escaping out of the open enclosure, not flying away.
    Having a cover on the enclosure and keeping it closed is a no brainer.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Lol. Obviously you need to keep the enclosure closed? I'm confused as to why this is even a problem, it's easily preventable!

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

They cannot fly, as in they cannot lift off from the ground and fly up into the air like many other species of roach. They can fly from an elevated area for a short time, as in climbing up your sisters clothes and dropping from there as they fly across the room. If youve ever seen an American cockroach fly you would easily recognize the difference people are talking about.

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I to have had a male dubia fly across my room. But as jarich said they can't take flight from ground level. This roach jumped off a 3ft cage however it did fly very well for a good while. Similar to a moth. It eventually fell to the ground and I killed it. I was scared to have a super roach in my colony that may rebel against me one day.

6. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Mine climb to the top of the egg crates and jump, flutter their wings, and hover down to the ground. They have no real lift to their flight.

7. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

How high are your egg crates stacked and do you have packing tape or anything around the brim of the tub? What you might have happening is them being able to climb out rather than fly out since you seem to not be using a lid at all. The lid holds in heat and humidity as well as preventing the odd escapee that manages to get near the top. While they are indeed poor climbers, if you have the egg crates stacked too high or have a tub the isn't perfectly smooth all the way up you will find that they can get right up to the top. I've never had an escapee or a flying roach in the year that I've had mine. I have packing tape smooth side out around the top of the tub and my egg crates are about 4 inches from the lid. The packing tape is only a precautionary measure since they have never been able to climb the walls high enough to where it was necessary.

8. model700

but the egg crates are 3-4 the height of the container. and only males escape. not 1 female. thats why i think they are grtting lift

9. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Get a lid. Not only will you likely not have any more escapes, but your roaches will probably breed better as well. They like dark, damp places remember.

10. model700

the reason why im pretty sure they are flying is because only males are escaping. if it was females i would think they were climbing out but havent found one yet. and also the egg crates are 8 inches lower than the top so they wouldnt be just fluttering.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Regardless of how they are doing it, a lid will stop it.

12. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

Yes....lid.

13. mshrmheadcharge

Are you opposed to a lid? Do you just want the challenge of keeping them inside of an open enclosure?
    Are you subconsciously trying to sabotage yourself?
    Is this an experiment gone terribly wrong?
    Why not just put a lid on it?

14. model700

i have a lid but dont use it when im cleaning and feeding because its just faster. i didnt think they escape that quickley

15. mshrmheadcharge

They are making a break for it :p
    Just don't walk away without closing it first. I never had an escapee!

16. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I get a few escapes on occasion because my littlest (2 years old) thinks they are wonderful pets and wants to play with them. My husband always forgets to close the gate that blocks her from the room they are in. In she slips all ninja style and opens up the top and tries to play with them. Nasty child.

17. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Dubia can't fly. They can climb to high places and rather flutter downward but they do not fly. You need to put a lid on the container or they will escape. They are like most feeders and need a lid of some type. I have had mine for a long time and unless I do something stupid (like when I am sorting them let some escape) I never find them out and about.

18. Poison

Poison Elite Member

It has never been proven that they can't fly (if it has please show me the proof). I've seen it with my own eyes. This dubia did not just jump and flutter down. It kept flight for a good while. And after landing on something, it did it again.

19. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

you sure you have dubia and not some other strain of roaches? I had to prove to myself that they didn't fly. they only time it got lift was with the fan blowing on it. yah put your lid on. grab a jar, take what you need outta the bin, put the lid back on.. If it can escape it will. wouldn't you? you might also have too many in there or too many males ? May

20. RockyGurly

RockyGurly Well-Known Member

Maybe try rubbing a ring of vaseline around the inside of the container? They could be crawling out as well, or just scooting off from the egg crates. You'll know it's working if you see a ton of teeny tiny foot prints in it (they won't stick to it, they just can't climb it)
    Shortening the egg crates might help too if you don't want to keep a lid on.. but I always err on the side of caution with any animal and never leave an open cage unattended.