This Disappears When Logged In

Crabbies

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by katie41586, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

So when buying a hood at my local pet store I noticed on the front desk a tank of crabs. There were probably about 15 or so in a tank and they were just scurrying around on sand.

I asked them what type of species they were and they said "orange headed crabs". I think they are pretty cute and am thinking about getting a few so I got online today to research the care of these animals.

No such thing.:confused:

Am I wrong? I just did a general search and nothing even closely related.

I would still like to get a few so if anyone could let me know if the pet store is as clueless about their crustaceans as they are about their reptiles I would really appreciate it.

Also is there a general setup for a crab tank? I noticed the red claw needs a massive amount of water while hermit crabs hardly require any.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

This is one of the only crabs I regularly see in the pet trade, other than Hermit crabs. Its often called a "rainbow crab" Was this it?

[​IMG]

3. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

nope all one color...tannish...

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Just saying...what a cute picture :)

5. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

The supplier probably took a bunch of 'Rainbow Crabs' and dyed them orange to pawn them off as a 'new species'!

Pet stores and suppliers will do anything to make a quick buck.:mad:

6. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

Yeah they will I'm not sure what crab they would have you should go there and take a pic so we can help you more.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

8. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

hmm it def. wasn't bright so maybe a rusty crab. I am going to go and have another look because it is driving me nuts. I can't believe how clueless they are....I am literally in complete awe.

9. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

okay so I have been researching crabs and do all crabs require water in their cages?

The ones at the pet store were only kept on sand.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes, all need water and some require salt water for proper care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.