This Disappears When Logged In

Couple Of Questions

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Someguyver, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

I have a 55 gallon aquarium. I've already cleaned it but it's been 6 months since I've cleaned it. I haven't bought a turtle yet (waiting for Southern Painted Turts to restock, unless you want to tell me a website where I can buy turtles), but I already have most of the stuff on my checklist. 2 filters. A penguin head (don't think I'll need it). Lamps and Uvb/Heat light, glass heater (Jager, gonna buy a protector.I also have another one. Penn Plax. What are your thoughts?), and some decor.

My questions. I bought all of this for 180 (an aquarium stand, colored led lights, and more colored lights were included), but the filter and heater are covered in what looks like salt creep. Plus some dried green algae. Will the water become salty if I just leave the filter and heater in the aquarium? I don't want my turts to die because of saltiness.

Second, do I need a screen top? My 55 gal has a screen divider and was just wondering if I do. Some people say the screen top absorbs the heat from turtles. I dunno.

3rd, what do you do when you put chlorinated water in? Leave it for a day, then pour some de-chlorinator in? Or can you just put the de-chlorinator in from the start?

2. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

I think this is in the wrong forum

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well this person seems to be looking for advice on setting this up for a turtle, so they're in the right place. Now as to the questions, I'll try to answer them the best I can considering there are no pics of the setup. What looks like salt on the heater is more likely just mineral deposits, if it doesn't rinse away with a bit of warm water, then it's not salt and shouldn't be an issue. And I don't use tops at all on my turtle setups. I just hang the lights over the tank. It sounds a bit like you may be thinking of just setting this up like a fish tank and putting a turtle in it, so some pics of the equipment and exactly how you intend to use it may help. Can't really comment on the rest until I know exactly what your working with.

4. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

I'll try to put some pics up and set it up without water by the evening

5. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

Sorry. I'm using my school ipad and I'm very busy with HW. I'll get the picture in asap.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

No big deal, whenever you get time. Might be a bit before I get a chance to look anyway.

7. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How high should the water be? The filters can only reach so low. Unless they sell longer pipes or something.

8. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

Also, what do you think about these reptile sites?

reptilecity.com
    backwaterreptiles.com
    myturtlestore.com

Also, do you have any experience with kingsnake.com? The website looks complicated for me.

9. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I'd stay far away from the first two. No personal experience with the third.
    Kingsnake isn't that difficult if you get used to it it's just a classifieds website.

10. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

I've heard lots of good things about LLLReptile ;)

11. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll do some research on the first two websites before buying. Anything from them.

I might change my mind about buying turtles. Instead, I'm going to research tortoises and consider my options. I don't feel like keeping an aquatic animal.

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

For some reason the images aren't loading on my tablet properly, and since you seem to have changed your mind a bit I'll comment on that instead. Obviously most of the equipment you mentioned will be all but useless, even the tank will only be able to serve in the short term. Research the species you are considering very carefully, that cute little 2" sulcatta will eventually turn into a 150+lb tank with legs, that will likely outlive you.

MyImmortalWolf likes this.
  13. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

I'm selling the things I have (except the dual light fixture, heat bulb, uvb bulb, calcium dust, and rocks). I'm cramming as much research I can on Sulcattas or Russians. Tortoisesupply.com has 100 plus shipping babies and other stuff. My mom has many unused bookshelfs so I can make an indoor enclosure without spending too much. Plus it's Fall so it'll be cold

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Keep in mind that most of the Russian tortoises are imported wild caught, at least the ones I see all the time are. Sulcattas, while reasonably easy to care for, will eventually need a very large room sized area, and can't be maintained outside in cold weather. I would also look at leopards, red foots, and maybe Herman's. While they may not be as cheap initially, the closing and house will cost less in the long term.

15. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

Thanks, I'll look into those tortoises. I can see why the housing would cost less. Mean while, I'll be in the Tortoise forums

16. Russian tortoises my opinion the best captive tortoise and turtle I have one and I love him they also require low maintenance which is nice Definitely look into em and they are in stock about everywhere and another factor they are just plain cute