This Disappears When Logged In

Could Someone Recommend a New Pet for Me?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by JoJoWonders, May 1, 2014.

1. JoJoWonders

JoJoWonders New Member

Hey everybody, I just joined this forum to hopefully learn about my new undetermined pet. So I'm hoping that's you guys will help me do! I've always loved caring for animals and having pets, however I've decided to expand my horizons. I've had hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, dogs, fish, and hermit crabs. Since I'm inexperienced in non furry type animals I would appreciate some help.

These are the things I'm looking for:
    1. An animal suited for beginners
    2. An animal that is relatively budget friendly....I understand some equipment is required but I'm a college student so I don't have hundreds and hundreds of extra dollars to spend on overly elaborate setups
    3. Finally, I would really like an animal that tolerates or even enjoys being handled. I'm a very hands on pet owner. So that's pretty important to me as well.

Basically I'm open to any suggestion that meets these 3 criteria! Thank you in advance for advice :)

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you considered a corn snake or Leopard Gecko? Both are relatively easy to care for, don't require large, elaborate setups and are rather friendly.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Corn snake or Leo was my thought as well.

4. musical2one

musical2one Member

I would probably go with corn snake...If you do get a leo, maybe start out with an adult. Juveniles can be a bit tricky if your inexperienced. Corn snakes however are always a good beginners reptile if you have a cage that is locked. ..they're escape artists, but they're great pets.

5. JoJoWonders

JoJoWonders New Member

Thanks for the replies! I've actually thought about both corn snakes and leopard geckos. I've met a couple of corn snakes that friends have and all have seemed very mellow, which appeals to me. If I were to get an older gecko, where could I find one? The pet stores in my area seem to only have young ones.

6. musical2one

musical2one Member

Honestly, if you're gonna get a reptile, you showed go to an expo. I make it a point not to trust buying from retail. If you go to an expo, you'll also get a better variety, not too mention reptile expos are loads of fun. Also, breeders will be able to give you better care details!

7. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

I Would STRONGLY suggest a Leopard Gecko they are so easy to care for and so cute:) theyre probably the easiest reptile out there for beginners! Also if you want something even easier id strongly suggest some fire bellied newts:) theyre adorable and probably the easiest pet ever!! look into it, and tell us what you end up getting:) Ive been keeping all kinds of animals and reptiles for as long as I can remember and im only 15:) Im glad to help and give advice if you need any, and good luck finding your new pet:)

-Ava:)

8. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

Oh and if you want an adult Leopard Gecko, you can see if there are any reptile rescues near you, but sometimes petsmart and other pet stores have adults, you just may need to look around. You can also buy geckos online from breeders and have them shipped to you, if you would like, but this sometimes is a little pricy, just depends where u buy from.