This Disappears When Logged In

Could I Breed Houseflies As A Feeder Insect?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by caters, Jul 5, 2017.

1. caters

caters Member

I know that calciworms are the larva stage of black soldier flies and houseflies are so common.

I have been lucky to be able to catch 2 houseflies by hand without killing them. Now I know the vent in my room is completely open and has been ever since I got a wood floor. The vent cover won't fit. But houseflies can breed at room temperature so I won't have to worry about heat or cold. Just a little problem. Well actually 2.

I don't know how I can have the container ventilated without the flies escaping and when they do escape, it is hard for me to catch them.

And, I am not sure if it is safe for me to breed them as feeder insects. I mean no the houseflies in my house don't eat poop, just fruit. But still, is it safe to feed a bearded dragon houseflies?

I don't have a bearded dragon yet but my momma is building a castle for him/her in the enclosure. And I have done my research on what bearded dragons need and how often to feed them at different stages of their lives.

And I am currently doing research on how to breed feeder insects so that hopefully, I only have to buy the insects once a few weeks before I get the bearded dragon.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I have never tried this, but it doesn't sound like a very good option for bearded dragons.
    Instead of houseflies, maybe try silkworms or crickets? Be sure and vary the diet, not just feed them one thing.

3. dp428

dp428 Established Member

i think if houseflies were a good alternative, it would be in the market already. Not to say it couldn't work, I just think if it was possible it would have been done. Probably hard for breeding, and/or difficulties with nutrition and sanitation.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As stated above. I wouldn't bother.
    Just stick with what's tried and true. Mealworms and dubia roaches are very simple to culture.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The problem is they fly. The same reason they cultivated wingless fruitless.
    Like Merlin said--Dubias. So easy to grow. Once you have a colony you will be selling off excess and making money off of them.
    If you really want to try flies. Some chicken bones in a garbage can in a warm garage. A few days later you will have maggots. Much nastier than Dubias in my opinion.