This Disappears When Logged In

Costa Rica Pics

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by ajvw, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

and cresties are from New Caledonia. On the other side of the world.

If i may ask...what was your bad lizard experience?

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

All three are definitely anoles, though the last one is a different species. I'm not sure what those species are though, there are a lot of anoles out there :p I might have to look around.

I think you're right ;) Possibly Ameiva festiva, but I don't know that much about ameivas. I just know it sort of looks like one and they're native to Costa Rica.

Definitely a species of tent-making bat. I think Costa Rica has somewhere between 10 and 20 species of such bats. Yours are Uroderma bilobatum or something very similar. This species also goes by Peter's tent-making bat or the yellow-eared bat.

Looks like a green spiny lizard, also known as the emerald swift (Sceloporus malachiticus), and apparently also known as the coffee plantation lizard ;)

Great pics Amy, but you forgot one thing! You forgot to take me with you! :p

3. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

ok ok ok

I took a second look at the mystery lizard. It's definatly not a gecko it's skinny.

OK here is the bad experience. I was probably like 5 and i was in the pet store looking for a snake, well the lady was really trying to get my father to buy the monitor lizard. So she said look there good with pets and she through that thing on me i was so torn up. Ever since then I've been scared of lizards.

As far as desencetizing ill do anything to get out of my abusive house hold ( no need for explanation ) and i live in florida if you ever want a house guest let me know.

4. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Yeah, that too. :p

5. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Thanks, Matt. I think you're right on the Emerald Swift. I took another look in my book (The Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica by Jay M. Savage) and found it. I had overlooked that picture somehow. And Ameiva festivus is my guess, too, based on the photos in here. It's a great book. If I were to actually read the text, instead of just looking at the pictures, I'd really learn a lot...:rolleyes:

Hoan, sorry about your bad experience! She threw a monitor on you?! Poor little kid! What an idiot that woman was. If someone did that to my child, I'd call the police, and there would be some sort of civil suit as well. I'm not litigious, but I am a mama bear if anyone even thinks about hurting my kids. I'm so, so sorry your home life is abusive. I'm in VA, so kinda far away. How long until you can get out of that house on your own; is there anyone else you could go to in the meantime?

6. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Amazing pics.
    Tks for sharing.

7. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

Home :(

Well im 16 and im going to turn 17 on march 17th.Ill graduate highschool as an 18 year old my 12th grade year. After graduation i can go straight off to colleage (if i can get ino one).But to answer your question probally about a year and a half till im able to get out.

8. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Great photos Amy! Seems you had a lot of fun! =)
    Thanks for sharing!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.