This Disappears When Logged In

Costa Rica Pics

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by ajvw, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Here's a start on my herp photos from my trip. It's taking me a while to get them uploaded, and I have 3 other people jockeying for computer time around here, so it may take me a day or two to get the rest up for you to see.

Iguana we saw by the path to the dining room at Selva Verde Lodge, Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui:

[​IMG]

Three photos of frogs we saw at the Ranarium (una rana = a frog in Spanish) at La Paz Waterfall Gardens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two photos of the same mystery lizard we saw on our porch at the Vista del Valle Plantation Inn, Rosario de Naranja (Alajuela):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little guy perched on a bamboo stalk trailside at the Vista del Valle:

[​IMG]

There will be more to come, but now my boys (husband and son) want to play Star Wars Battlefront II.

(NOTE: I DID ADD MORE PICTURES TO THE THREAD -- SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THEM.)

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Sweet Amy, those are fantastic pics...I am so jealous. One day, maybe I will get to go on a tropical vacation, lol.

3. The D

The D Mango Empress

great pictures Amy! i too, am way jealous.

4. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Great pics!

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Great pics, I think your mystery lizard is a type of Anole.

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very cool Amy..

7. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Here are some more pics, as promised -- had to kick the boys off the computer!

Eyelash Pit Viper (taken with a LOT of zoom, lol!):

[​IMG]

Betsy's frog find (Tapanti National Park):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another basilisk, lounging by the pool at our hotel (Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui):

[​IMG]

Parrot Snake, in a shrub by the pool:

[​IMG]

Dart frog, Selva Verde Lodge:

[​IMG]

Mystery Lizard (another one), I think some kind of Ameiva:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a herp, but some really cute bats sleeping (until I woke them) under a leaf right by our hotel room door:

[​IMG]

A "coffee plantation lizard," scurrying on a 100-pound bag of organic coffee at a plantation not far from Irazu Volcano:

[​IMG]

Henry looking for the lizard after it disappeared:

[​IMG]

Betsy's new skill, bellyflopping:

[​IMG]

8. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

Oh my gosh thnks for th e pics' i was raised in CR and miss all my friends there, we lived off the beaches but i won't tell you what we did while there.

9. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Great Pictures, some day I want to be able to go some place where I can walk out of my door and see a herp. And I don't mean ones we have put there LOL.

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Geez you are making me soooo jealous!

11. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

can't wait.....awesome!

12. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

tropical vacation

Shoot i'd love to take an antarctic vacation, everyday in Florida is a tropical vacation to some degree.

I absolutely love the photos, although i'm not a big lizard fan (bad incident when I was young) you really take good pics. Does the mystery look like a crested gecko to anyone other than me?

13. The D

The D Mango Empress

That basilisk is amazing! great pictures!

and i dont think the mystery lizard looks like a crested gecko at all.

14. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

awesome pics looks like you had fun. :)

15. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Oh man I need a vacation!! And that is where I want to go!! I am so jealous!

16. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

It was an amazing vacation. The entire family had a wonderful time. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with warm, friendly people and amazing natural resources. I seriously recommend a visit!! There are some inexpensive places to stay (though we didn't seem to stay in them, lol), and when I looked online, I even found some neat Spanish-language/homestay programs that were very affordable. I'd like to go back and do that someday. And since we never made it to either coast (Caribbean or Pacific), I'd also like to go back to see those... It was a trip well worth giving up our last years' vacations for, and now we just have to pay the bills and make the photo album!

17. Paige

Paige Elite Member

that is so cool!

18. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very cool pics. Thanks for posting.

19. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Diggy, are you a Tica? Or just lucky enough to be raised in CR? (Or does being raised in CR make you a Tica no matter what your parents' genetic heritage and geographic histories?) CR looks like a great place to live, though I will say that compared to my community here in VA (which is, admittedly, pretty solidly upper-middle-class), I saw a lot of poverty. I also saw a lot of simpler homes/lifestyles that I would not call poverty -- though certainly less dripping with material goods. Makes me realize how overwhelmed with wealth I really am, and how much "stuff" can weigh on a person -- how "wealth" can detract from lifestyle in some ways. Of course, the health care, educational resources, and good jobs (with low to no risk of injury and death on the job, stable income, benefits, etc.) that are available to most people here where I live are truly valuable, and I would wish for them for all people.

20. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Hoan, the mystery lizard(s) were actually very different from Cresties, despite a superficial resemblance in the case of the one on the vertical piece of bamboo. For one thing, they were diurnal where cresties are nocturnal. For another thing, they did have those skinny anole bodies and long-clawed toes, not the chubbyish bodies of cresties or the clinging toe pads they have. But they are really cute, just like cresties! Sorry you had a bad lizard experience in the past. Dunno where you live, but you can come over here and desensitize yourself, lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.