This Disappears When Logged In

Cost Advantage?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Knox, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I have 4 snakes. I have bred my own mice before, but it seemed like I was spending more in Aspen bedding from all the cleaning than any saved money by having my own feeders.

I buy my pinkies from my local shop - they are packaged "Mice On Ice". They are about $7.50 for 6 of them. I buy live adults and pre-kill - around $1.25 each. I am starting to wonder if I would be cheaper again - buying larger bags of Aspen to lower the cleaning cost average.

I don't want to buy frozen online, because shipping averages out to what I can buy live mice locally. Plus, I don't have the freezer space.

Anyone have opinions on this?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

There should be a place to buy the bedding in bulk. I don't mean the large pet stores. They mark it up substantially. I use to breed my own mice as well, for my Boa. I found that I was spending way more time looking after the mice than I was with my herps. I guess you have to figure out as well how much your time is worth to you.

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

well me... i bred rats. I used hand shredded newspaper as bedding. It costs nothing(unless u don't read the paper :p). The rats enjoyed sorting out the newspaper into a nice little home, they also shredded it up further by themselves.

12 rat pups every month with a breeding trio. Food also cost minimal for them. Bulk hamster food and some dry dog food(which you could steal from a neighbour with dogs ;) ..jokes)

i also found that rats stink alot less...mice were NASTY! Maybe when all your snakes are big enough to take at least rat pinks...convert.

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

That is definitely something to consider.

5. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

I have pet rats and will probably breed them once Severus and Sheila need them (Sheila eats ex-breeder females and Severus eats hoppers) and they absolutely smell less than mice. Male mice especially just reek. Instead of aspen, see if you can get Woody Pet from a feed or farm store. It's made for horses specifically, but it is a much much better small animal bedding (www.woodypet.com). When I had rabbits, it worked so much better than any other product I tried hands down. I've used it on mice, rats, rabbits, in the ferret's litter box, and as a snake substrate (though I prefer aspen for the snakes). And it's like $5 for a 30 lbs bag.

6. Knox

Knox Elite Member

That stuff looks awesome! I just may have to order myself a bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.