This Disappears When Logged In

Cornsnake in Leopard Gecko Enclosure

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by jweiner, Mar 16, 2014.

1. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

So I originally set up the pictured enclosure in anticipation of getting a Leo. However, I was just at a reptile show and really liked the young Corn Snakes. The enclosure has a somewhat textured ceramic tile on the ground and has an under tank heater providing heat to about 1/3 of the ground (the other picture). Theres also a hide on the left (warm) and right (cool) sides of the enclosure. The middle enclosure is the humid hide. The light fixture has two incandescent bulbs in it; one is a basic 25w daylight bulb and the other is a 15w moonlight bulb. What would I have to change about this enclosure if I decide to get a Corn Snake instead of a Leo. Thanks in advance for any help. IMG_3782.jpg IMG_3772.jpg

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'll let the snake people answer your question.
    But your thread title had me going there for a second.
    I was thinking co-inhabitant disaster,lol

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm with Mike! I was getting ready to start jumping up and down! LOL
    But that will work for a cornsnake just fine.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yup, first thought was "Oh no, not again!" Then saw the poster was you and thought "He should know better." Then read the post and chuckled at myself. Should be fine for a corn.

5. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

What changes, if any should be made to the enclosure? Is tile okay for a corn or should I use a different substrate? If humidity is low in my home, is having a humid hide adequate? Thanks again!

6. Merlin

For the first couple of months I always suggest newspaper as a substrate to allow for the monitoring of wastes as well as any potential parasites. After that I would go with aspen.
    And corns do not require high humidity.

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

im with the rest I was like....common sense people lol.... but read the post and was relieved lol

8. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

So Merlin - would the tile substrate be acceptable?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Corns like to burrow so some sort of loose substrate is generally recommended for them.

10. Merlin

The tile will do fine. Just as long as you have hiding spaces, which you do.
    I just have a personal preference for aspen with snakes.