This Disappears When Logged In

Corn VS. King, Which to Get?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by nikkistorms, Aug 22, 2012.

1. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Hello Folks! I am a 10+ year lizard and various other exotic animal keeper. I want to delve into the Slithery Snake world! I have an intense fear of snakes and spiders. As part of my therapy I am going to confront this fear. Right now I have 4 lizards. I am rehoming one I "rescued" from a petstore, a African Fat-Tailed Gecko. The tank he is in is what I would use for the snake. It has everything I already need and would of course sanitize everything. My AFT is all healthy and eating normally now so I am looking to rehome him regardless.

So far I found a California King, desert phase BEAUTIFUL male 2 year old. I really like him, of course this is online so I havent gotten to hold him yet. I am going to Repticon and the breeder is Supposed to be there, they are still unsure if they are going. I have also seen some Corns I like. Below are the qualities I am looking for. I do not want a ball.

5ft or shorter
    not too thick
    stays in a 30gal tank or smaller
    eats frozen thawed or no mice at all
    calm tempered, loves to be handled.

Thanks for everyone's advice

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

don't you guys already have a thread about this? someone should merge them :D

3. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Well My friend started one that I didnt know about while I was writing this one LOL.

4. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

5. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Mind explaining your choice? :)

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

CORN! lol!
    I am corn crazy, I have 16 and 12 babies currently. I love the wide varity of colors they come in Check out: Corn Snake Morphs - The Definitive Guide • Ians Vivarium
    Most of the 1,2 and 3 gene traits will be at the show reasonably priced (A few exceptions are the newer traits like the Palmetto).

7. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Here's my explanation.....Variability without any mutations needed......

IMG_3610.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3584.jpg
    IMG_3567.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    D.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    CUPID.jpg
    IMG_9655-1.jpg
    IMG_9683.jpg
    IMG_9681.jpg
    IMG_9676.jpg
    IMG_9675.jpg
    IMG_9357.jpg
    IMG_9074.jpg
    IMG_8783.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Sorry...there's a few mutations in the photo series.....lol

9. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Agreed but as for the qualities I'm looking for besides looks would that fit?

10. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Get a corn...they are better beginner snakes.....

11. snakevenom

snakevenom Well-Known Member

Corn they are less moody.

12. FlagonFly

FlagonFly Member

I vote kingsnake. Have not owned a corn but liked the king's temperament. Curious, not overly nervous or jumpy, maybe not as overall "sedated" as I hear corns can be, but from what I have read corns tend to hide more than kings and I like watching them explore. Handling was never a problem for me, I just didn't overdo it (good advice for any breed).