This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake Weird Breathing?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Ben93, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Ben93

Ben93 Member

My 4/5 year old corn snake has ha this occasional thing that sounds like a small sneeze type sound like a pffff.

I have taken him to a vet who looked at him checked he's mouth nose etc couldn't see any other signs of a respitory problem.
    He have him fortum antibiotics and I am giving him he's last shot today 5 in total one every third day.

He still does it but it's not on every breath it's every few minutes and it's when he put an I'm and I'm handling him.

I asked the shop owner I bought him from for a second opinion and he said just keep an eye on him and see if it develops into anything more symptom wise.

Could it be something else doing it as he's acting he's normal self still eating and everything and active when he's out he's tongue is flickering fast as normal.

He is overweight which was my mistake as I fed him weekly so he's going on a diet as he weighs 1.2kg

Any opinions would be helpful he has no bubbling or mucous holding he's head up or mouth open it's just a very occasional pfffft sound.

He's been on paper towels since injections too just to make it easy to clean .

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How were you housing previously and now? every little detail.

3. Ben93

Ben93 Member

In a vocation heat mat on thermostat it's always been about 29/30c warm side and about 25c on the cool side sometimes 24.

He's been on aspen has 2 hides one on each side and used to get fed weekly but cutting it down and he's water gets changed everyday I spot clean and fully clean out every 2/3 weeks. But now he's on paper I clean the lot Everytime he does anything.

I've had him for 4 years and this is the first problem I've ever had with him

4. Ben93

Ben93 Member

I'm housing him the same apart from the kitchen towel as substrate now.

5. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I don't know what else you can do (someone will respond hopefully about that) but the audible breathing isn't normal. My cornsnake used to be a bit overweight but I never heard any audible breathing sounds at all from her. I don't know how to convert to celcius, but I keep mine at 80 basking and 70 cool side. Best of luck and keep us posted - getting her to the vet right away was a good move and really responsible.

6. Ben93

Ben93 Member

I'm going to keep a close eye on him he doesn't do it much and now he's had all them antibiotics pumped into him I'm gonna just see how it goes I don't like the idea of needles and antibiotics. It stresses the poor thing out.

He's eating fine and moving around fine an acting normal he's tongue movement is very good and he isn't had any other problems so from the second opinion saying see how it goes before putting it under any more stress I think that's what ill do.

I hope he makes a full recovery.