This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake Refusing Food

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by TapaidhNaomh, May 17, 2010.

1. TapaidhNaomh

TapaidhNaomh Well-Known Member

He is pretty young. I don't know exactly but the breeder said he hatched in 2009, and he's still rather small.
    And he does have a dark spot on his belly. In the cases of your problem feeders, did they ever begin to eat again? How did you get you hands on the small live pinkies?

2. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Some ate most didn't. I have a local breeder that I deal with when I need live. Can you post a size weight and pic? When I said black discoloration I mean other than the normal pattern.

3. TapaidhNaomh

Ok, here are the pictures of his belly. I don't have my scale at current, so I can't grab a weight for you. I've included a picture of him next to a sheet of paper to show some scale. As you can see he's around 11 or 12 inches long.

Attached Files:

4. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I would say try some warm baths. It might get some stuff moving if it is fecal matter compacted.

5. TapaidhNaomh

Thanks for the help, man.
    Any tips for bathing a corn snake? I am not 100 percent on the procedure.

6. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Throw him in a tub of warm water and let him hang out for a while. You can also use a damp towel if you want.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And the water should be lukewarm, like you would use for a human baby. Just barely warm to your touch.

8. TapaidhNaomh

Thanks, guys. I did this earlier today. No effect so far, but I'll keep at it.
    Its funny you mention human babies, because I decided that safest warmth would be the same I used to bathe my nephew, so I'm glad my common sense solution worked.

9. TapaidhNaomh

Well, Gents, it seems to be working. I gave Jude his second soak today and towards the end of it he defecated a bit. I'm guessing he'll need more time to fully evacuate, but hopefully this is the beginning of a turn around.
    Just thought you'd like to know.

10. Merlin

Cool. Maybe the little guy just got plugged up. Make sure his temperatures are correct to help speed things along.

11. TapaidhNaomh

Plugged up is a good way to put it. Finding euphemisms for all this is rough. Pretty soon I'm just going to have to go anatomical without shame.

I'm keeping a close eye on his temps to make sure he's s comfortable as possible. More news as it develops.

12. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

There is no shame in poop when it comes to our critters -- actually we usually get quite excited about it... LOL :rolleyes:

I'm glad things have started...um... moving for you. (sniggle). I'm new to the snake thing, so I'm reading these threads to learn as much as I can. Good Luck!

13. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

14. TapaidhNaomh

Still giving baths, but no more bowel movements. He still has the dark spots visible on his underbelly.

I'm going to try feeding him again later today, around dusk, so I will let you know how that goes. Fingers crossed.

15. TapaidhNaomh

Update:

Just gave him a bath. Another small amount of excrement. Hurray.

16. TapaidhNaomh

Well, no feeding yet. However, more excrement. So I suppose thats a spot of good news in an otherwise bland field of "nothing new to report."

17. TapaidhNaomh

Ok, so here's another wrinkle:
    I recently witnessed Jude drinking water, and then opening his mouth really wide. Sort of like a brief yawn. Is this another symptom of his constipation or is he suffering from some new malady or is this normal?

18. Merlin

An occassional yawn is fine,...just like us they do it too!

19. TapaidhNaomh

Well, I have tried everything and Jude still hasn't eaten. Today I noticed he has gotten visibly thinner. Tomorrow I am taking him to a local animal hospital to see what they say. My worry is that he is so small and young that they won't be able to do anything for him.

20. TapaidhNaomh

Jude passed away.
    Thank you all for your help.