This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake Personality Change?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by KelloggCornsnakes, May 9, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

A while ago, Kellogg has been very jumpy, and clings to everything and flinches when I pick him up, almost like he's scared. Same way when I'm holding him. He's a little calmer, but he tries to almost run away when I move my hand, and flinches when I pet him. He didn't do any of this until recently...

Info:
    • I changed his tank a while ago
    • We got a skink a while ago, could he smell it and be nervous? Her tank isn't far from his
    • I was thinking it could be from breeding season (is it even breeding season for snakes?)
    • He's still eating well
    • He's been drinking, haven't seen poop (snakes only eat once a week, and the poop would blend in with his substrate so I just might not see it)
    • Even after the 1st week in his new tank, he wasn't nervous or jumpy. It only started about 2 weeks ago.

2. KelloggCornsnakes

He also smelled s teeny bit, not a horrible odor, just smelled like snake poop. Just noticed last time I held him, which was about an hour ago.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I doubt it would be the skink unless you heavily handled the skink and then handled the snake, which I guess could make it somewhat nervous.

If it's eating and drinking could the snake just be grouchy from a shed?

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Mine does this sometimes too, he's very jumpy when I suddenly touch him while he's in his enclosure or even if I breathe on him when I open the cage doors, lol. But he is very calm and puppy-dog tame once he's on my hands. This is quite natural. I wouldn't completely rule out breeding season, although it is a bit late now. As long as all the parametres are normal and the snake is in good physical health, I wouldn't worry. However, to be on the safe side, you might want to check him for mites, since they cause similar symptoms of sudden restlesness and/or aggression.

5. KelloggCornsnakes

It's not mites, I would have seen when I was holding him last night. But that's the thing, even you hold him, he still seems freaked out.

6. KelloggCornsnakes

The last time he shed was about 2 or 3 weeks ago, so I don't think it's that.

7. KelloggCornsnakes

I will give him a soak later though, just to be sure it's not mites...

8. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

If it's not mites (fingers crossed;)) then I'd say it's just normal summer excitement. Give him some time and see if this continues or if it's just a passing phase. Most animals become more active and excited during the summer months. When you handle him make sure you support his body properly, since snakes will freak out if they feel they are unsupported. Let him crawl over your hands and don't grab him. I'm not exactly sure what he's doing to make you so anxious, but from what you wrote I'd say it's just normal snake behaviour. Snakes don't really like to be petted, especially near the head or tail, and they'll always flinch a bit if you touch them suddenly. It's also possible that he might just be going through a grumpy phase, just like we do sometimes;)

9. lisas

lisas Elite Member

If this helps, my corn snake has been much more active since the warmer spring weather has come. This winter she was in her hide a lot, now she's been crawling around the tank much more. I live in the Northeast and it seems to have gone from a brutal winter right into a warm summer, basically skipping spring.

Leanea likes this.