This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake or Milk Snake or Ball Python?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Mike55, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike55

Mike55 Well-Known Member

Hey guys for christmas i'm thinking of asking for either of these three snakes but I just can't decide! Which ones do you guys think I should get?

2. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I would say corn snake. They are very easy to care for and have great temperaments. Milk snakes (especially babies) tend to musk allot and are very flighty. Ball pythons have the best temperament out of the 3, but some are picky eaters, sometimes fast for up to 6 or 9 months at a time and if the humidity isn't kept right, they will have shedding problems.

3. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

my vote is on ball python all the way. Sweetest snakes in the world. Yea they can have some eating problems but the snakes do it by choice and mine have never had a problem keeping weight when they go off feed for a few months.

4. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Yea, they do it by choice, but first time and beginner snake owners can find it very frustrating. I do agree they are the sweetest snakes in the world though.

5. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Balls are more of a relaxed snake to me. They can be very chill, relaxing around your shoulders and or in your lap. Though sometimes you have to be careful, and not fall asleep with them.

6. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Their the same way with me, but cause of their feeding issues, I don't think their the best beginner snake. If the person thinks they can handle the feeding issues then there is no reason they shouldn't do it .

7. Mike55

Mike55 Well-Known Member

Could they get sick during there fast?

8. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Only if they have a parasite. As long as they don't lose very much weight, they do fine. If you want to try to avoid it you could get a female cause it's usually the males that do it during breeding season and winter. Which ever you chose, make sure you post plenty of pics:D

9. Mike55

Mike55 Well-Known Member

Ok then i want some more opinions before i decide. :)

10. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

If you are selective about the snake you buy, making sure it is captive bred, feeds f/t, is healthy and parasite free, then theoretically you wouldn't have to worry about most of the problems ball python owners have dealt with. I have both types, and I think it depends more on what you want out of the snake. Do you want something that comes in a lot of beautiful morphs, is relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain? A corn is for you. Or do you want a snake that will be your buddy, who will snuggle and be a joy to handle? A ball is the way to go. Now, both types of snakes (I'm excluding the milk snake because I don't have personal experience with it) can have their issues. Like some other people said, corns can be more aggressive, but will calm down over time. There are some truly beautiful morphs of bp out there that will have you drooling, but they are very pricey. Also, if you live in a low humidity environment, you will definitely have some issues keeping a ball's enclosure in that 50-60% range every day.
    I do have to say that either way you go, you will have a very hard time stopping at just one. :)

11. easttxchevygal

easttxchevygal Elite Member

What about a Kenyan Sand Boa ?? They are super Kool!! They just stay buried in their substrate most of the time . So u don't see it alot.

12. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

thats certainly true! i think we all remember getting that first animal and now seeing how much our houses have grown!

13. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I know I do. August of last year is when I got my first snake and now I have 17, but all but 5 of them are for breeding. I'm fixing to get a few more on Oct 2nd at the ETHS expo.

14. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

yea ill probably pick up a few more at the expo in a couple weeks XD

15. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I love Corns. Balls are just too boring for me. When I hold a snake, I want it to move around, slithering through my hands. Corns satisfy this desire.

Obviously, people LOVE Ball Pythons. And for good reason. They just don't do it for me. I think they are great snakes, beautiful and easy to care for. I just like a little more activity out of my snakes.

16. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I love both and own both. When I'm in the mood to hold a active snake I hold one or all 9 of my corns and when I'm in the mood to hold a calm snake I hold 1 or all 6 of my ball pythons

17. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Ball pythons are the best beginner snake to handle, but corns are the easiest beginner snake to care for I believe. They seem a little more forgiving to beginner husbandry errors, and have a stronger feeding response.

Ball pythons are great, but I can tell you as an owner who had a ball who wouldn't eat for the first 6 months we owned him..it's a bit horrifying. Because they often WILL stop eating if something is wrong, and sometimes when you are a beginner it's hard to know why they aren't eating. Generally babies eat well, only breeding age adults go off feed 'on purpose'.. The biggest reason I see babies stop eating is STRESS! They are sweet, shy snakes, and if they don't feel safe, they don't eat! :(

Now that I feel more confident in my care as I have owned one for a few years I can tell when he is just 'not hungry' or when something is up. But sometimes you have trouble knowing at first, and it's scary. It leads a lot of new owners to force feed snakes when it's not necessary or let the snake starve when it's a husbandry error!

But that is what forums are here for :) to help!

If I were to start over, I would start with a corn snake. I would get a ball python later, because they are super sweet little guys!

18. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Well said!

19. Mike55

Mike55 Well-Known Member

Well i now narrowed it down to a Corn Snake then. Thanks guys!

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For my money the corns are the best starter snakes around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.