This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake or Bearded Dragon

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by GumDrops, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GumDrops

GumDrops Active Member

Hi. I'm new. :D Anyways, I am positive I want some sort of reptile. I've narrowed it down to Bearded Dragons and Corn Snakes by doing research on other reptile species etc.

I've been searching Google for a couple days now, seeing if I could find some information to help me decide, but no such luck. If anyone knows a thing or two about either of these that could possibly help me with my dilemma, I beckon you. Hehe. :p

Well, thanks.

-Gummy

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Corn Snake or Bearded Dragon?

Welcome to the neighborhood! They are both good beggining animals. I personally think that Bearded Dragons have a bit more personality and love interaction a bit more than the corn snakes. Also if you think you will have issues feeding mice to the snake then you would want to go for the bearded dragon. however if you think you would have problems feeding veggies every day, and keeping a dry dessert type setup, you would want to go with the corn. BD also require UVB which I do not believe the corns do.... take a look at the two care sheets and see if that helps you decide. Whatever you decide on, get the home set up first and make sure everything is perfect before you get the animal. And thanks for doing research before getting anything!!! ;)

Bearded Dragon Caresheet (Pogona vitticeps) - Reptile Forums - The HC Network
    Cornsnake Caresheet (Pantherophis guttatus) - Reptile Information - Caresheets Database

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

also something to think about, a bearded dragon will need a much larger enclosure than a corn snake, so you need to think space as well.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Those are two very different reptiles, so a lot of it depends on what you want to get out of owning a reptile. Corn snakes are easier and less expensive to maintain, but bearded dragons are more active and possibly more fun to watch.

5. vegasandbecca

vegasandbecca Elite Member

I just got my bearded dragon about four months ago; he is also my first reptile I have ever owned. I have really enjoyed keeping him and learning more about beardies. I would definately recommend a bearded dragon as a first time reptile.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I keep both. They are both great as a beginner animal. It will depend on just what you want out of the experience.
    Corn snakes are, well ,..snakes! They will do fine with a minimum of interaction with humans, require no specialized lights and will do fine in a minimum of a 20 gal long tank. They will start out (if a hatchling) as a squirmy wiggly worm which will calm down as they mature but they will always be an very active snake. They will also require that you feed them rodents, mice to start with and then possibly on to rats. Fortunately I have yet to meet a cornsnake that refuses to take frozen thawed food. They feed once a week. As would be expected their bodily elimitaions are equaly spaced out.
    A Beardie will need a minimum of a 40 gallon tank, specialized UVB lighting and enough warmth to simulate a desert environment. It will require daily feeding of fresh vegetables as well as live insects. Crickets are the staple. Ands yes they must be alive. They will deficate every day requiring that they be cleaned everyday.
    However a beardie will give you much more personality and personal interaction than the snake will.
    Think about it being a cat with scales!

7. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

corn snake is cheaper,easy to care for,btw small corn snakes are ninja snakes..they are skilled of getting out of tanks! make sure there are no cracks in the lid when you close it!

beardies are very cool lizards but you need the right things for them to make them a happy healthy herp!uvb lighting,heatlamp,40 to 55 gallon tank,they eat greens insect's etc they can be handled !

there are also other herps that are good for beginers!

lep gecko's
    fat tail geckos
    crested gecko's
    king snakes
    rat snakes
    water dragon
    salt water croc's make awesome pets! lol jk!

8. GumDrops

GumDrops Active Member

Just like those equally great pets Great White Sharks! LMAO. ;)

-x-

I'll end up with both in the end. Beardie tank sizes wouldn't pose a problem for me. I'm just a big Corn Snake fan. Them eating mice doesn't bother me. My dog eats much worse o_O (if you catch my drift).

*Dazes off into imaginary Herp Heaven*

Thanks for the information you all.

-Gummy.

9. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

One thing to think about is how often you go out of town. A corn snake you can leave for a week or even two, as long as you feed it before you leave and make sure there's plenty of water. (Maybe someone to change the water once or twice.) A beardie needs daily care.

They're both great animals! But you obviously know that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.