This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake Hiding For 2 Weeks, Not Wanting To Come Out

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Jul 4, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

Making another post of this with a better title.

My Corn Snake has been hiding in his moss hide for the past 2 weeks. If I uncover him and take his lid off, he seems afraid of me but will come out (after about 10 mins) and explore his cage. He won't actually come out of his cage to be held though, and he'll just go back to hiding again, usually in a different hide since I uncovered him. He's eating fine. He was getting dull a few days ago and he's clear again now. Could he be hiding from shedding? Stress? Summer heat?

I don't want him to be afraid of me and not come out of his hide forever.

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Sounds like how my Everglades rat snake acts when she's getting ready to shed. Last week or so she ducked into the tub of damp sphagnum moss and stayed there for about 10 days, then came out and shed. Usually she either stretches out along the branches in her tank or curls up in a ceramic cichlid stone cave (snakes like them much better than the fish ever did, lol.) She doesn't like to be handled, but usually comes right out to see what's up when I walk up the the tank, hoping I'll bring her some mice. She'll happily take them from my hand if I dangle them by the tail, but ducks for cover if the hand gets too close w/out a mouse.

3. KelloggCornsnakes

That's what Kellogg is doing, except he won't come out when I walk by and it's been longer than 10 days. But I'm thinking its just shed as well.

4. KelloggCornsnakes

Turned the reptile lights on this morning and guess what I found - a nice perfect shed!