This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake Hide

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Frognut, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm beginning to work on a new hide for Athena (my 4 1/2' corn snake) - she is currently using boot boxes and it just doesn't match my greek temple theme.... :rolleyes:

I have a large plastic pretzel container in the shape of a 'barrel' that I was going to cut in half and cover in a white paper decoupage and then paint some kind of Greek columns (we shall see where my creative um... talent... leads me).

The diameter of the container is 8" at it's widest part (which will be the bottom and tapers to a top diameter of 6".

Questions:
    a. is this big enough? I can make it as tall as 8" if need be, but I was expecting something shorter.

b. should I place the entrance hole in the top, side or both?

c. for those crafty people who know how to decoupage - if I'm using the store bought (Mod Podge) or just a watered down version of white glue -- can I then paint over this after it has dried? I want to paint AFTER white paper is decoupaged, as my experience with this process has shown - trying to decoupage an already created item around a curved surface will be more difficult than creating a 'white canvas' with white paper, painting then sealing it again with another layer of decoupage medium.

d. (Any other -- probably more obvious answer to doing this?) Painting directly onto the plastic would probably result in chipping of the paint - even if I sealed it.

Thanks!!

btw: she LOVES the large Greek Column decoration I picked up in the fish tank isle... she crawls through it and over it and back again. Sometimes I wonder how she doesn't tangle herself in it! So to whoever mentioned it --- thanks!!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It doesn't need to be that tall. It would be wasted. Five inches tall would be fine. I would place the entrance on the side. The rest of the questions about the construction method are for someone else. lol

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hey, have you thought about maybe using popsicle sticks and styrofoam, you could use the styrofoam as a base and in each corner use toilet paper roll for your colums and put the popsicle sticks around the roll. And use a plaster type of stuff to or grout to make it look like stone. Just a thought:confused: I'm not the best at explaining things!!

4. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

There is also a product which is plaster infused gauze. Worked great for Leo hides and is super easy to paint. It is a lot like paper mache' for grownups (or individuals who are old enough to be adults but creating happy childhood memories now!).

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh - Kelly, that's it! I forget what that stuff is called, but we made an 'egg' out of the stuff (wrapped around a balloon) for a Scout Training (hey, we have FUN at Scout Training!! :p).

It kind of reminds me of the stuff they use for making casts! For those of us with boys we know EXACTLY what we're talking about -- I even know where to get it!! AND, it will dull the edges of the plastic where I cut it so it won't cause problems for Athena!! AND you're right, it will be easier to paint! AND you are a genius... it MUST run in the family....

Woo Hoo!

Rich -- thanks for the answer about the size of the hide. (I figured there would be two 'groups' of answers... LOL!

Michele - I understood EXACTLY what you were talking about - you were speaking "Crafting Language"... I get it! :) The other is just easier with less craft products! But, it's actually a great idea -- and if my painting "skills" are not what I remember, than that will probably be figured into attempt #2.... :)

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I remember using the casting plaster once to make a face mask (using my face as the mold, lol). Can't wait to see pics of what you made.