This Disappears When Logged In

Corn snake having trouble shedding..I think

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by mshrmheadcharge, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

:eek: Im havign a hard time gettign a good look at her but shes not shedding in one piece like shes supposed to? humidity is 50% and she wont go in the moist hide...:confused: any suggestions?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since its been over 12 hours since you posted the snake should be finished. Take her out and check her to see if there are any leftover peices.

3. John White

John White Elite Member

Probably the easiest thing to do is to mist the enclosure twice daily when you notice her entering a shed cycle.

Another method is to use an aquarium air pump and air/bubble stone. Place the air/bubble stone in the snake's water bowl.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

If the corn does still have some retained shed, do the following:

Take a towel and soak it under warm water. Once saturated, wring it out so that most of the water is gone.

Now place it in a pillowcase. Then place the snake in with the towel and tie the pillowcase closed.

Place the pillowcase in the enclosure overnight to make sure it stays warm.

The humidity and the abrasive towel should help the snake shed the retained skin.

5. mshrmheadcharge

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are talking the snake to the vet solely on the basis of the problem shed, it's not necessary. Snakes shed in peices all the time.

7. mshrmheadcharge

Shes got some bleeding going on and waht looks like a blister..

8. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

is that from the shedding maybe?

when i first got my bp from the shop he had just had a bad shed from severly low humidity (it was some crappy petshop in a farmers market that doesen't take good care of thier animals). he had peeled off a a 1/2" by 1" patch of scales (or one of the employees did while trying to peel the shedding skin off) and developed a wound from it. he heeled up with no problems, but he always had a bit of a 'scar' in his scales where it was.

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

How old is the snake? It is clearly young, perhaps still only a few weeks or couple of months old? Corn snakes aren't known for having troublesome sheds, particularly ones of this age, although they can still sometimes shed in pieces rather than in one clean shed.

Where is the blister and the bleeding? How long has she had this? This sounds quite worrying.

10. mshrmheadcharge

She is a 2005 hatchling, Ive only had her for 4 feeds, shes is about 13 inches long and this is her first shed with me..the day before she shed there was blood coming from the spot where the blister is now..you can see the blister clearly in the pics..she will be going to the ER vet later on today...11 so in 4 hours..it looks like a burn but there no way she could have been burned while Ive had her..I am also goin to call the woman my BF got her from tomorrow..she told him she has shed problems but he wasnt aware it was this bad...shes still very active and eating so Im sure she will be fine..Im just worried :D

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Do you know when in 2005? I can believe she's a couple of months old, so hatched right at the end of 2005, but, unless she hasn't been fed at least weekly, I can't believe she is older than that. If she is, she isn't growing at the normal rate.

What are you feeding her and how often?

I can see the blister - it looks quite worrying, although I'm not sure what could have caused it. If you have anything like tamodine or iodine, use it diluted on the blister to keep it clean and avoid infection, though I'm sure the vet will hopefully give you more advice today and some kind of treatment for the snake.

Let us know what the vet says :)

12. mshrmheadcharge

I feed her 2 pinks a week, she was previously fed 1 pink a week...My vet said he thinks its because she had a rough time shedding, and it looks like its not the only time its happened..he said it looks like the shed pulled up alot o fthe new scales rather then just coming off..he gave me some ointment that I have to put on her 3 times a day and told me dont worry about soaking her since its on her head it wont really help...shes already gettting better about me putting the ointment on her without moving around too much..she will stay still for me for a bout a min..then she says im off :p Ill keep you updated with pics of course and thanks for your advice and concerns :D

13. venus

venus Founding Member

Good to hear (see) :p Savannah.....I know you are relieved to have had it checked out.

14. mshrmheadcharge

VERY relieved..lol..sososososooo relieved...he told me to call the woman my BF got them from and see if she will fess up to this...Im sure with a little bit of my convincing she will...Im not really mad at the fact that she didnt tell me just dissappointed that she didnt even care enought about one of HER babies to tell the person shes selling it to "hey, it has some shedding probs that may cause some bleeding and blistering" rather then "it has some shedding pobs"

15. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Excellent news Savannah !!!! Now you know who NOT to buy from in the future (hint hint)

16. mshrmheadcharge

Ken...:D you are prob gonna be the only person I buy from..and Marsha of course so I know that they are properly cared for :p Thanks so much everyone for helping me out and such..I really appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.