This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Snake Baby Spending All Day in Hideout

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Khorne, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Khorne, my new corn snake, is spending most of the day (And night) inside his hide out (His "Skull throne"), which I figured is normal behavior. However, what I do find weird is that he keeps his head (And only his head) sticking out of it in different places, rotating, and slowly creeps back in when I spot him. He seems to follow a pattern too, Eye, other eye, Nose, Back of skull.

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Sounds perfectly normal :) As babies, they are an easy meal to a lot of other animals. So they will stay hidden until they feel safe. I love skull hides for snakes, my one guy likes to peek out the nose :)

3. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Alright. How would I get him out to interact with out startling him? Just ripping the skull out of the cage seems like it would scare him alot.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

His behaviour looks like he's simply "scanning" the area from his hide. It's prefectly normal.
    If you just got him, you should leave him alone for about a week so that he can get used to the new environment. If you handle or disturb him too much he will just get unnecessarily stressed. Once he gets comfortable, you can pick him up by gently sliding your hand underneath him - don't go from above as he will interpret this as an attack. If he stays hidden, you can pick up the whole hide and wait for him to slither out of it, then pick him up (from below). Don't grab him too much, just let your hands be his ground on which he can move around comfortably. He might be a bit nippy at first, but he'll get used to you eventually. Careful, though - baby snakes are superfast, so you really want to watch him whenever he's out:)
    Be slow and gentle with him; that should do the trick:)

5. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Got him on Sunday, and was told 3-4 days was the normal waiting period. So, that means either today or tomorrow would be the day to start getting him used to me, right?

6. trappen

trappen Elite Member

I would say give him a full week with no handling.